The Alameda Elks Lodge #1015 celebrated the 100th anniversary of its building’s commemoration this past Saturday, May 22.
Elks from around the Bay Area attended the special program, which included the opening of a time capsule dated October 17, 1909, when the building’s cornerstone was laid.
Larry Lulofs, the 104th Exalted Ruler of the Alameda Elks Lodge #1015, and Bill Lawrence, Elk of the Year 2006-2007, removed the time capsule from a corner in the building (after Lawrence had spent hours extracting it) and shared it with the assembled guests.
Inside the time capsule, Elks had placed a “San Francisco Chronicle” newspaper, a program from the building’s commemoration, a pocket watch, U.S. flag with 46 stars (in 1909), photos of the original Alameda Elks Lodge building, a telegram and other memorabilia.
Guests were very delighted to be a part of the historic Elks’ event, and they started giving their opinions on what the Elks of 2010 should put in their time capsule… to be opened in 2110. (An iPod?, printout of emails?)