By Janet Levaux
Sunday, October 30th, 2011 at 10:00 am in Uncategorized.
Alameda-based Virago Theatre Company says it needs to raise $3,500 to bring the world premiere of Jon Brooks’ “Shoot O’Malley Twice” to the newly restored StageWerx 446 in the Mission District of San Francisco. The theater troupe says it has raised about 85 percent of this amount and has roughly five more days to collect online pledges for the remaining 15 percent.
According to Virago, the $3,500 will be used for costumes, hair, make-up, original sound design by Ryan Lee Short, and special effects to create two alternate universes in this fast-paced, existentially comic production.
In the play, “Alternate realities and baseball meet predestination wrapped around a child’s game in this fast-paced, mind-bending new comedy by Bay Area playwright Jon Brooks,” the group says on its website. The stage for the play will resemble a shabby hotel room in New York City, circa 1957.
The production of “Shoot O’Malley Twice” in San Francisco takes Virago “into new territory, bringing this existentially comic world premiere to the heart of the Mission District,” according to the group, which adds that all donations are tax deductible.
The group’s 2011-2012 season includes “Shoot O’Malley Twice”, “A Taste of Honey” and “Madama Butterfly.”