The last of five awards given out by the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society during a gala on May 23 went to the owners of a special residence in Central Alameda.
With several twists of fate, the home at 1417 San Antonio was transformed from a Victorian to a Colonial (see above) and back (see below). “This is the story of a Queen Anne that has changed her outfit not once, not twice, but at least three times that we know of,” joked architect Jerri Holan.
First built in 1886 across from Franklin Park for attorney George Wright, the home was designed and built by A. W. Pattiani as one of Alameda’s first Queen Annes. It was then enlarged and remodeled.
“Brackets were removed and many other ‘fussy’ Victorian details and gingerbread were probably lost, as well,” said the architect. “Colonial Revival was the popular style of the day, and it demanded simpler details with classical elements.”
Attorney Lynn Faris and husband John bought the home in 1996 and needed to replace the porch, which included classical columns and a shingle-style trellis. They worked with staff with Rynerson O’Brien Architecture, who studied other Pattiani homes in the East Bay to design an L-shaped Queen Anne porch complete with a cupola on the corner.
In the upper front windows, Victorian sunburst panels were created, “which truly brought back the Victorian character lost at the turn of the century to Colonial popularity,” explained Holan. “Lynn and John Faris have indeed dressed this lovely Queen Anne in a splendid new outfit. In doing so, they have given the community a truly remarkable piece of architectural craftsmanship at its best.”