The East Bay’s Grateful Dads, a charming group of outdoor-loving pops and tots, are celebrating their fifth year of surging up and down the East Bay’s hills, mountains and winding trails, but it’s not all cardio-workout. They take in the beautiful surroundings, talk football and movies, bond with their kids — and let mom sleep in too.
“There are so many neat places in the Bay Area that you just don’t see if you’re just going to work every day,” says East Bay chapter founder Allen Mueller, “and I was looking for something to get back in shape and do something with my daughter.”
And there are chapters everywhere, including Marin County, where the original group got its start, SoCal, Spokane, Charleston, Chicago and more than a dozen other cities.
The Grateful Dad’s next East Bay hike? They’ll be traipsing the 2.7 mile lakeside trail at the Lafayette Reservoir this Saturday, Jan. 19 at 9 a.m. And dads of the East Bay? You’re invited.
For you East Bayers, here’s the lineup of upcoming Grateful Dads hikes:
- Jan. 19 at the Lafayette Reservoir, Lafayette
- Feb. 23 at Coyote Hills, Newark
- March 15 at Redwood Regional Park, Oakland
- April 12 at Sunol Wilderness, Sunol
- April 26 at Iron Horse Trail (Family and Friends Bike Outing), Danville
- May 17 at Sibley Regional Park, Piedmont
- June 21-22 at Lake Chabot, Castro Valley (Family and Friends Campout)
- July 19 at Joaquin Miller, Oakland
- August 16 at Tilden Park, Berkeley (Family and Friends Picnic)
- Sept. 20 at Don Castro Reservoir, Castro Valley
- Oct. 18 at Del Valle Regional Park, Livermore
- Nov. 15 at Garin Regional Park, Hayward
- Dec. 13 at Mount Diablo, Danville
Questions, directions, maps? E-mail Allen or just look for him at the Rez at the East end of the main parking lot on Saturday. He’s the guy with the green and tan Subaru outback, the happy kids and the big grin.