By Jackie Burrell
Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 at 2:00 pm in Toy Recalls.
Last week we had toy helicopters that burst into flame. Now we have Cinderella-mobiles whose wires short circuit, overheat and… burst into flame. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled 64,000 of these expensive ride-on toys ($200 apiece, sold between 2005 and 2006) after receiving 40 reports of the wires under the hood of the car and in the battery compartment under the seat – in other words, under your child’s tushie – overheating. In several cases, smoke billowed from under the seat. And in one case, “flames shot from under the hood while a 4-year-old girl was riding the vehicle.”
This one’s going into the Toy Store Hall o’ Shame, along with date rape drug-laced AquaDots and the radioactive U-238 Atomic Energy Lab for kids. Sheesh. If you’ve got a Cinderella car at home, Dumar International has a free retrofit kit for you that includes a new battery. Call them at 866-424-0500. You might want to ask for a fire extinguisher too.