Monday, February 25th, 2008 at 1:44 pm in Family Outings.
Yes, it felt a little weird to pack up the beach tote with towels and suits while it was storming last weekend, but once I settled into a hot tub with my kids and their friends at the Silliman Family Aquatic Center in Newark, it was easy to think: “Cold gray rain be damned!”
This spacious indoor complex on Mowry Avenue (exit off Interstate 880 and head west) is comprised of three pools, the aforementioned hot tub and two . It’s THE spot to let kids burn off some energy when it’s too yucky to go outside. And, even better, you don’t have to mess with sunblock.
There’s a gradual-entry shallow toddler pool with a great play structure in the middle, two small slides and tons of water shooters and goofy spouts.
The middle pool features an actual “lazy” river curving around the water slide splash down area. A gentle current propels swimmers in tubes (provided by the pool) around in circles. The third pool is a deeper regular lap-style pool for bigger kids.
Here are some tips:
1. Get there at opening time because the lounge chairs and tables go fast.
2. Bring flip-flops for showers.
3. Goggles are must. The pools were heavily chlorinated and the water stings.
4. There’s a snack bar, but the selection is limited (hot dogs, pizza, nachos, pretzels sort of stuff) so you might bring your own.
5. The pool provides life jackets — a nice plus!