By Jackie Burrell
Thursday, May 22nd, 2008 at 9:07 am in Family Outings.
1. Fire and ice? NASA Ames Research Center and Oakland’s Crucible celebrate an inter-galactic celebration of fire, ice and Mars landings this Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m., just as NASA’s real spacecraft, the Phoenix, touches down on the Red Planet. Drive a simulated Mars rover, watch the live NASA telecast from Phoenix mission control, play Mars pinball and check out the fire and ice art demos. (Free)
2. It’s Pleasant Hill’s Sprayground grand opening! Join in the fun Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Pleasant Hill Aquatic Park, 147 Gregory Lane. (Free)
3. Go Greek at the annual Marin Greek Festival in Ignacio this weekend – souvlaki, spanakopita, dancing, music all weekend from noon to 10 p.m. at the Nativity of Christ Greek Orthodox Church. ($5 adults, kids 12 and under are free, 415-883-1998)
4. Or head for Soccerfest in the City. Free soccer clinic, photo ops, big fun. Runs 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at John O’Connell High, 20th St at Harrison St, San Francisco. (Free)
5. Or grab a little culture for a higher cause when the Contra Costa Youth Orchestra presents its 3rd annual “Kids Helping Kids” concert to benefit Comfort for Kids, a Hospice pediatric program. OK, technically it’s not this weekend, it’s Wednesday, May 28 but we couldn’t resist plugging such a great event. The concert’s at 7:30 p.m. at Walnut Creek’s Lesher Center for the Arts. ($10-$15, through the Lesher Box Office)