Thursday, June 19th, 2008 at 3:04 pm in Family Outings.
This weekend will mark our sixth (??!!) year of taking our kid (now kids) to the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton. We also like to bring (drag) along our Berkeley friends and their kid as well as kids in our local playgroups, etc. etc. It’s just such quaint small-towny fun. We can’t help ourselves.
So I thought the fair would make a good blog topic. How do YOU make the most of the fair? There are sooo many things to do it can be exhausting just reading the daily program. (Tip No. 1–always get the free program at the entrance..things change daily and from year to year!).
If you don’t plan your time well, you’ll find yourself running from one end of the place to the other trying to figure it all out.
The fair can also get expensive. How do you take the whole family without breaking the bank?
I’ll share a few more tips here, but share yours too!!! The best ones will get free tickets to — where else — the fair!
2. Make sure to venture beyond the carnival rides. That’s where you’ll find your money disappears the fastest. The rides get more expensive every year. And there are many free attractions that kids will like equally as well.
3. Visit all the furry critters. I’m especially partial to the small animal buildings, home to bunnies of every color and other cute things.
3. Seek out indoor exhibits when it’s hot. Especially the garden displays. Ahhhh. Cool gurgling water.
4. Bring your own food! Yes, you are allowed to do this, and it gives the belly a nice break from those deep-fried Twinkies. (Tip 4. A. Try a deep-fried Twinky at least once in your life. Just to say you did it.) There are grassy areas and picnic tables.
5. Avoid the high parking fees. If you’re from out of town, take BART and then the fair shuttle (.85 cents for seniors/$1.75 for others; kids 6 & under free) from the station. If you live in town, there are a few sites nearby that charge less or some spots in various neighborhoods. Better yet, carpool with a friend. Or walk!
What are your fair tips???? Post ‘em here!
PS: I AM NOT SUGGESTING A BULLRIDE by including this pic. But ya gotta love a kid with guts to get on this thing. It actually makes snorty sounds. My kids are happy sitting in the bleachers with an ice cream cone watching others bite the dust, so to speak.
Note: This is a 2008 Alameda County Fair post. We’ve got 2009-specific tips and comments posted here.