By Jackie Burrell
Thursday, August 21st, 2008 at 6:10 am in Family Outings.
1. Ahoy, matey! Is that the New World we spy? A replica of Columbus’ famous ship, the “Nina,” docks at the Petaluma Turning Basin this weekend. Clamber aboard and imagine seafaring days of yore. (9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 22-26 , $3-$5)
2. Catch the roller derby action at the SF Bay Bombers’ annual Kids Day Game. Kids 12 and under are free Aug. 23 at San Francisco’s Kezar Pavilion.
3. Load up a picnic supper, grab a blanket and head for Oakland’s Dunsmuir Estate tomorrow evening for an outdoor screening of the Mike Myers comedy “So I Married an Axe Murderer,” which was filmed at the Dunsmuir Estate. ($5, Aug. 22 at dusk)
4. Check out the Cool Globes, artist-decorated outdoor sculptures at San Francisco’s Crissy Field, now through Oct. 13. Free.
5. Or scope out Lawrence Hall of Science’s Engineer It exhibit. Build towers, make an earthquake and check out the wind tunnel, now through Jan. 4. (10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, $6-$11)