By Jackie Burrell
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 at 6:10 am in Family Outings.
1. Arrrr! Active Arts Theatre launches its newest play, “How I Became a Pirate” – the tale of a scurvy band of pirates who recruits young Jeremy Jacob as its newest member – this Sunday at Berkeley’s Julia Morgan Center for the Arts. The show runs weekends Oct. 5-19 in Berkeley, then moves over to San Ramon’s Front Row Theater for a second run from Oct. 25 to Nov. 2. ($14-$18)
2. Head down the Peninsula when Kepler’s Books hosts author Neil Gaiman as he reads from his new “Graveyard Book” at Gunn High School this Saturday at 7 p.m.
3. Catch the amazing Derique the clown at La Pena Cultural Center‘s family-friendly show this Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. ($4 kids, $5 adults, $12 family pass)
4. Opt for fairy tales at Berkeley Rep’s monthly family workshop Sunday morning at 11 a.m. Little Red, Snow White, Aladdin, and big, theatrical fun – dragon slaying, anyone? Free.
5. Or check out the Cool Globes, artist-decorated outdoor sculptures at San Francisco’s Crissy Field, now through Oct. 13. Free.