By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 at 5:40 am in Family Entertainment.
1. Celebrate New Year’s Eve with a little kid-friendly rock and roll at Walnut Creek’s Red House, courtesy of the Time Outs (pictured above). The band plays – and kids get air guitar lessons and rock star makeovers too – at 4:30 and 6 p.m. on New Year’s Eve. (Tickets: $10 each or $30 per family)
2. Downtown Martinez turns into a family friendly, festive zone today from 3 p.m. till midnight for First Night — live music, plenty of entertainment and fabulous fun. ($8-$11)
3. Lawrence Hall of Science hosts a New Year’s Eve Day Party for families today at noon. Noisemakers, a big balloon drop, big fun. (Free with regular admission)
4. Pound your heart out at the Asian Art Museum’s Mochitsuki, or Mochi Pounding Party this Saturday at noon. Pound your own mochi, a sweet, sticky rice dumpling, and enjoy live music, dance and hands-on art activities too. (Free with museum admission and kids 12 and under are always admitted free)
5. San Francisco’s Museum of Modern Art hosts a “Shake It Up, Stretch It Out: Movement in Art” family workshop from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 4 and 18. Live dance, beautiful music and a reading of “Giraffes Can’t Dance.” (Free with museum admission)