1. Check out the fun at Pleasanton Civic Arts’ “SaturYAY!” show this Saturday at 11 a.m. Hear stories and musical surprises when storyteller Willy Claflin hits the stage with his puppet sidekick, Maynard Moose, at the Amador Theater. ($6-$18)
2. The Blackhawk Auto Museum hosts “Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends,” a hands-on family “funshop” this Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. Check out the European Train Enthusiasts’ model train exhibition, then try laying some track of your own. (Free with museum admission)
3. Get in on the theater action at Berkeley Rep’s free, interactive family workshop this Sunday at 11 a.m. Move, dance, laugh and learn “Action for the Stage” (Free, but bring a children’s book to donate to a local school library. Open to ages 4 and up.)
4. Got older kids? Check out “Sonic Vision” at the Chabot Space & Science Center this Friday at 9:15 p.m. It’s a dazzling music and digital animation show mixed by Moby, with tracks from Radiohead, U2, David Bowie, Coldplay, and others. Very cool, but if that’s too late in the evening for your family, the space center’s Tien Megadome features other Imax-sized movies all day, every day.
5. Or bundle up and hit the trails for the 2009 East Bay Regional Park’s Trail Challenge. Hike five of the 20 trails listed by Dec. 1, and you’ll win a T-shirt and commemorative pin. Plus, it’s really, really fun. And free. And good for you.