1. Catch Bay Area author Oliver Chin (above) reading from his newest Chinese Zodiac book, “Year of the Ox,” at the Albany Library on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. (Free)
2. Check out the big Lunar New Year celebration at the Oakland Museum this Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. – lion dancers, acrobats, ping pong demonstrations, hands on art activities, stories and more. (Free with museum admission)
3. Join the Lunar New Year celebration at Berkeley’s Habitot Children’s Museum Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Chinese music, dragon parades, calligraphy and storytelling. (Free with museum admission) And click here for more Lunar New Year events.
4. A new Water Works exhibit opens at the Lawrence Hall of Science this Saturday. Make snow and rainbows, be a hydroengineer, and explore the A to Z of H2O. (Runs Jan. 24 through April 19, $6-$11)
5. The New Pickle Circus contorts, clowns and tumbles its way into children’s hearts this Saturday at 5 p.m.a nd Sunday at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco. (Tickets: $16-22)