By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 at 6:32 am in Family Entertainment.
1. Pippi Longstocking, left, that irrepressible redhead of kid lit fame, takes the stage at Berkeley’s Julia Morgan Center for the Arts Jan. 31-Feb. 8, in an Active Arts Theatre for Young Audiences production. Then, the play moves south to San Ramon’s Front Row Theater for another two weekends of performances Feb. 14-22. (Tickets: $14-$18)
2. Build igloos, make snowflakes and celebrate blizzards at the “Let it Snow” day at Berkeley’s Habitot Children’s Museum this Friday. ($7-$8)
3. Ring it, shake it and play it by ear at the Bay Area Discovery Museum‘s brand new musical sound exhibition, “Play It by Ear: Bing, Bang Bong!” which opens this Saturday at Fort Baker, Sausalito. ($8-$10)
4. Language, poetry and rhythm take center stage at Berkeley Rep‘s wonderful free family workshop this Sunday at 11 a.m. Explore hip hop as a storytelling tool. Create characters, and play with rhymes and beats. (Recommended for ages 7 to adult.)
5. Or check out the new Water Works exhibit at the Lawrence Hall of Science. Make snow and rainbows, be a hydroengineer, and explore the A to Z of H2O. (Now through April 19, $6-$11)