By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 at 5:52 am in Family Entertainment.
1. Calling all cowboys and little buckaroos! This Saturday is Vaquero Day at the Los Vaqueros Watershed, Kellogg Picnic Area in Brentwood. Hosted by the Alameda County Cattle Women and Contra Costa Water District, this free family fest features horse-drawn wagon rides, farm animals, hands-on cowboy activities, sheep shearing, and calf branding – with paint, not the likely-to-traumatize-small-children kind. (The event is free, but bring $6 for parking.)
2. Celebrate Persian New Year – Norooz – at Berkeley’s Habitot Children’s Museum this Saturday with Norooz-inspired art projects, Iranian children’s stories and a Golden Thread performance. (Children $8, Adults $7)
3. Blues singer Jerry Kennedy (pictured, below) plays a family concert at Berkeley’s La Pena Cultural Center this Saturday morning. ($4-$5)
4. Next month, San Francisco’s Aquarium of the Bay launches new octopus, jellies and land-dwelling animal exhibits, but you can get a sneak peek this Saturday during a special pygmy hedgehog and chinchilla event from 1 to 3 p.m. Admission is half price through the month of March for Bay Area residents, so bring ID! (Half off the normal $8-$15.95 ticket price)
5. Snow White lands in the East Bay in a madcap, musical presentation at the Oakland Museum on March 21 and 28. ($10 per person)