By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 at 5:54 am in Family Outings.
1. MOCHA, Oakland’s Museum of Children’s Art, is hosting a free Birthday Bonanza Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Play art-themed putt-putt golf, blow bubbles, hear live music and help celebrate the museum’s 20th birthday.
2. The Bay Area’s West Wind drive-in movie theaters – including the Solano Drive-in in Concord – are hosting a free movie night this Thursday, April 23 at 6 p.m. Catch “Bedtime Stories,” “Madagascar 2″ or “Paul Blart: Mall Cop” (depending on the theater), plus bouncy house fun for the kids.
3. The eighth annual “Week of the Young Child” Fair lands at Pittsburg’s Small World Park this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with free rides, a bouncy house, live entertainment and a petting zoo for the kiddies, and nutrition, health, child care and school info booths for parents. This fun, free event is geared toward families with kids 5 and under, and is sponsored by First Five and the East County Regional Group. (For info, call 510-654-5335.)
4. Beverly Cleary’s famous Ramona Quimby hits the stage at Pleasanton’s Amador Theater this weekend when the Civic Arts Stage Company performs a play based on the beloved childhood book this weekend. ($8-$20)
5. And if you’ve got a Cub Scout, you’ll want to swing by Danville’s Blackhawk Automotive museum this Saturday for the big Mt. Diablo Pinewood Derby race. Scouts in uniform get in free.