By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 at 6:32 am in Family Outings.
1. Join the Contra Costa County Library Reading Festival May 3-9 when authors, puppet shows and belly dancers take over every library in the county. Drop by Concord’s Willow Pass Center to hear about Hogwarts from the webmistress of TheLeakyCauldron. Catch Lemony Snicket in Walnut Creek. Or swing by the San Pablo Library for tree frog treks, Kensington for storytellers and comedy, and El Sobrante for the Fratello Marionettes. Check the county library web site for the full festival schedule.
2. Go theatrical at Berkeley Rep this Sunday at the free, family workshop this Sunday morning. Perfect for kids 4 and up. (Free, but bring a children’s book to donate to a local school.)
3. Got crafty kids? Michael’s is hosting Mother’s Day gift workshops this weekend. Have dad take the kids to make keepsake plates this Saturday and one-of-a-kind T-shirts on Sunday.
4. Make believe you’re back in pioneer times at this Sunday’s family fun day at the Old Woodside Store. This living history day zaps you back to 1854 with horse-drawn wagon rides, butter churning, rope and rag dolls projects, pie-eating and seed-spitting contests, and other 19th century frolic, dreamt up by the San Mateo County Historical Association Museum. (Free)
5. And Oakland’s Fairyland has updated all its magical storytelling boxes. Come celebrate Fairyland’s famous magic keys and the boxes they unlock, with new and updated audio, this weekend. Plus, all the usual fun and live entertainment, including Lori & RJ/Cotton Candy Express Music and a puppet show about Orca, the first whale. ($7)