By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 at 5:53 pm in Family Outings.
1. Walnut Creek’s Lindsay Wildlife Museum is celebrating owls this weekend with a head turning presentation that’s a hoot. Check out the Great Grey Owl, Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, and Barn Owl, all of which are native to California and the Bay Area. (Free with general admission)
2. Author Rick Riordan of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” fame unveils his new book, “The Last Olympian” at Kepler’s this Saturday at 5 p.m. Riordan will read from the new book, run a Greek Mythology quiz bowl, and sign copies of the book. (Free)
3. The Asian Art Museum hosts a “Land of the Thunder Dragon” family festival this Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Celebrate Motherâ€™s Day with art and cultural traditions from the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan and its neighbors, Nepal and Tibet. Hear live music and storytellers bring Bhutanese folk tales to life, sculpt a sacred lotus flower, and search for treasure. (Free)
4. The new “Kids Matinee Series” continues this weekend at Berkeley’s Rialto Cinema with “The Princess Bride.” Tix are $4, proceeds benefit local PTAs.
5. Check out “Wonderland: A Circus Adapation of Alice in Wonderland” at San Ramon’s Front Row Theater May 9-17. Created and directed by Cirque de Soleil master clown Jeff Raz and starring clowns from the San Francisco Circus Center’s clown conservatory, this Active Arts Theatre production promises quite the circus spectacle. ($14-$18)