By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 at 6:11 am in Family Outings.
1. Jazz it up at San Francisco’s MOMA family workshop this Sunday, May 17. You’ll create your artistic composition while professional musicians play classic jazz tunes. Donâ€™t miss a reading of â€śThe Jazzy Alphabet,â€ť by Sherry Shahan and illustrated by Mary Thelen. (Free for kids ages 4-12 and up to four grown-ups.)
2. The annual Bay Area Storytelling Festival brings its signature brand of tale tellers, mimes and more to Kennedy Grove in El Sobrante on May 16 and 17, with a Kids Concert on May 17 at 1 p.m. ($20 and up)
3. Check out “The Wiz” in all its gospel, R&B, musical glory at the Bayside Performing Arts Center in San Mateo May 15-17. (Tickets: $8-15)
4. The De Young Museum’s 23rd annual Young at Art Festival kicks off May 15 with a 9-day celebration of children’s creativity – art, beatboxing, poetry, and ethnic dance and music from the San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival, ABADA Capoeira Youth Ensemble, San Francisco Taiko Dojo and Ensambles Ballet Folklorico de San Francisco. Free.
5. Check out the Shen Yun Performing Arts’ Spring Spectacular with gorgeously costumed, synchronized Chinese dancers and live music featuring both Western and Chinese instruments. This family-friendly event runs Friday through Sunday at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts. ($30 and up)