By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 at 5:55 am in Family Outings.
1. Sure, you can gawk at the stars and planets, but this Saturday, Chabot Space & Science Center is hosting a sing-along, toe-tapping, barn dance for families, featuring Gayle Schmitt and the Toodala Ramblers at 1:30 p.m. (Free with admission)
2. The Elmwood Rialto Cinema‘s family film series continues this weekend with “Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure.” Tickets to the noon matinee on both Saturday and Sunday are just $4, and ticket sales benefit PTAs at four Berkeley elementary schools.
3. If you’re a movie buff, then you’ll also want to check out the AMC Summer Movie Camp. The East Bay’s AMC movie theaters feature family flicks for on Wednesday mornings for just a dollar. Catch “Space Chimps” on June 17, “Kung Fu Panda” on the 24th, and more movies every Wednesday morning through the summer.
4. Catch the shark feedings at San Francisco’s Aquarium of the Bay every Thursday and Sunday at 1:30 p.m. when divers take the plunge to feed the Sevengill sharks in the aquarium’s “Under the Bay” exhibit tunnels. (Free with aquarium admission)
5. Boardwalk, Park Place and… Salvio Street? The Concord Library is hosting a Monopoly Game Tournament this Saturday, starting at 10 a.m. Players ages 8 to 18 are invited to come roll the dice, collect properties and pass “Go” all day long. Plus, there’s face painting, balloon animals, snacks and prizes. (Free. Reserve a spot by calling 925-646-5455)