By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 at 9:57 am in Family Outings.
1. Zip out to Audubon Canyon Ranch’s Bolinas Lagoon Preserve to see Great Blue Herons and egrets, eggs and baby chicks who’ve just hatched and are learning to fly. The preserve is open weekends through July 12. ($15 suggested donation)
2. Join the celebration at the third annual King of the County BBQ Challenge and Music Festival this Saturday and Sunday at the Martinez Waterfront Park. Chow down on BBQ done by the pros – Back Forty, Kinder’s Meats and Bulldog BBQ. Check out the amateur barbecue action too. And then there’s the family-friendly live entertainment, including rides, activity booths and even soccer-playing border collies on Sunday. Free parking and admission.
3. Down in the South Bay? Check out the wild, whimsical “Adventures of Alice,” a multimedia, dance-filled take on the Alice in Wonderland tale at San Jose’s Evergreen Performing Arts Center on Sunday, June 21. (Tickets $18-25)
4. Grab Dad and head for San Francisco’s MOMA this Sunday. It’s family studio day and you’ll be doing hands-on art inspired by Georgia Oâ€™Keeffe & Ansel Adams. Free for families (kids ages 4-12 and up to four accompanying grown-ups).
5. Prefer your entertainment in the creepy crawly variety? Check out the African millipedes, Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers, Darkling Beetles and other strange and fascinating creatures in the Insect Discovery Lab at El Cerrito’s Eclectix Gallery June 20 from 6 to 8 p.m.