By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 at 5:50 am in Family Entertainment.
1. Join the fun at the Alameda County Fair. Check out the Great American Petting Zoo, the kids’ tractor pull, carnival rides and more, now through July 19 at the Pleasanton Fair Grounds. ($6-$10, plus parking, ride tickets and food.)
2. Pitch a tent in the Teddy Bear Picnic meadow, and slumber in fairytale splendor this weekend at Oakland’s Children’s Fairyland. The summer sleepover fun starts at 5:45 p.m. on July 11 and includes dinner, rides, entertainment and breakfast the next morning. Reservations required. ($20-$40)
3. Trucks, tractors and flatbeds are featured at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum’s Family Funshop this Sunday, July 12, from 1 to 4 p.m. Learn how food gets from farm to lunchbox, do hands-on farm activities and make your own tasty snacks.
4. The Elmwood Rialto Cinema’s family film series continues this weekend, July 11 and 12, with “Black Beauty.” Tickets to the noon matinee on both Saturday and Sunday are just $4, and ticket sales benefit PTAs at four Berkeley elementary schools.
5. The Scottish Highland Games take over Oakland’s Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate this weekend for family-friendly games, sheepdog trials and highland athletics… and, of course, bagpipers. The fun runs 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. ($8-$12)