By Jackie Burrell
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 at 6:27 am in Backyard Summer Camp.
We’re nearing the finish line on the coolest summer fun idea yet: a do-it-yourself summer camp that turns your backyard (and those of your friends) into kid central. We’ve already shared Peggy Spear’s tips on how to host a DIY Backyard Summer Camp, and some great ideas for Days 1, 2, 3 and 4 – Backyard Olympics, Day Tripping, a Splash Fest and Cookin’ with the Kids. Now it’s time for…
Day 5: Friday Funday
“With the week coming to an end, it’s time to give everyone a break,” says Peggy. “Pick an amusement park, movie theater or sporting event and take the campers on another field trip.”
- You don’t have to take on something as spectacular, both financially and in terms of roller coasters, as Great America or Discovery Kingdom. Think family friendly and small scale – Concord’s Pixieland, Oakland’s Children’s Fairyland or your local zoo.
- Check out summer movie deals too. Cinemark’s Summer Movie Clubhouse offers $5 family films on weekday mornings during the summer, for example.
- Go bowling, or mini-golfing.
- Or pitch a tent for a neighborhood camp-out under the stars.
- Check out more ideas for backyard fun, including cardboard pirate ships and giant bubbles.
OK, now it’s your turn. Click “comments” and tell us, what are you doing with your kids this summer?