Oh ouch. U.S. Consumer Product Safety people and Maclaren Strollers just recalled a million strollers after discovering that flaws in the hinge mechanism were amputating babies’ fingertips. Maclaren received 15 reports of children getting their fingers caught in the hinges when the stroller was being closed or opened – 12 of those kids had their fingertips cut off. The recall includes all Maclaren single and double umbrella strollers ($100-$360) purchased between 1999 and 2009. For details on the models involved and how to get a free repair kit, visit the CPSC recall page.
Archive for the 'Toy Recalls' Category
You know those colorful, wooden playground sets in every suburban backyard? Yeah, there’s a problem. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission just recalled 275,000 of them after receiving more than 1,400 reports of rotting, horizontal ladders and beams. Among the injuries, nine bad enough to send children to the emergency room with fractures and lacerations. Seems the monkey bars, swing beams and horizontal ladders weaken over time, due to wood rot. Most of the injuries occurred when the swing spontaneously detached from the rotted wood. Several different models of Adventure Playset are listed in the recall, so check the CPSC site for pics, models numbers and next steps.
OK, this is scary. If you bought your kids Halloween Flashlights, thinking that would keep them safe while trick-or-treating, check the brand. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Target just recalled 610,000 of these flashlights – both the mini kind and those sold with stencils – because they overheat and melt. There have been eight reports of molten flashlights, including one that actually burned the child’s hand. Follow the link for details on specific model numbers. But if you’ve got one, purchased in August and September of this year, return it to any Target for a full refund.
Little Tikes and the federal Consumer Product Safety folks just recalled 1.6 million Little Tikes workshop toys and trucks after discovering that the oversized plastic nails in the sets can lodge in children’s throats. One toddler had to be hospitalized after a toy nail became wedged in his throat. He’s OK now, but the nails pose a significant enough threat that the toy company has recalled them. If you’ve got one of these sets – the Swirlin’ Sawdust Workshop, the black pick-up truck with a tool kit, or any of the other recalled models, take the nails away and contact Little Tikes at (800) 791-2737 or www.littletikes.com for a replacement.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Kolcraft just recalled 425,000 infant play yards after a 10-month-old baby boy strangled to death. Twelve different models are included in the recall and all of them have a raised changing table with a strap that forms a loop underneath. One model also has a rocking cradle in which children can become trapped and suffocate. There have already been 45 reports of babies rolling to the side of the cradle and getting wedged. These play yards were sold between 2001 and 2007. Check the web site for specific model numbers, then contact the company to get replacement parts.
Bouncy, bouncy, ouch. The Consumer Product Safety folks and BabyBjĂ¶rn just recalled 6,500 of these Balance Air bouncer chairs. Seems there are sharp metal objects in the padded area that can protrude and possibly injure babies. No injuries reported, but just the same, if you’ve got one of these, check the model number against the CPSC list. The $170-$190 seats were sold between last September and July 2009. If you’ve got one, contact the company for return instructions.
Evenflo and the Consumer Product Safety Commission just recalled 25,000 of these Switch-a-Roo Telephone Toys. The mirror decal on the front can come off, thereby posing a possible choking hazard. Just peel the dang thing off and throw it away. The rest of the phone seems to be fine.
The Consumer Product Safety folks just recalled 90,000 packages of these mini sports balls, because the decorative coating contains excessive levels of lead. You’re looking for small sports toys that come packaged as a basketball, football, baseball and soccer ball quartet. Got ‘em? Take them away from your kids and contact the company for details on how to get a replacement toy.
Egad! Nestle just issued a recall for its Toll House cookie dough – the ready-made stuff in the refrigerator case that we all nibble on – after several dozen people fell ill with E. coli-related diseases… after nibbling on raw cookie dough. The Food and Drug Administration says 66 people have gotten sick since March, 25 seriously enough to be hospitalized. Nestle got word yesterday and by this morning had joined the FDA in telling people to toss any refrigerated Nestle Toll House cookie dough, including the stuff in the flats, the tubs and the tubes; limited and seasonal editions; chocolate chip, gingerbread, sugar and peanut butter too. Not affected: cookie dough ice cream.
The FDA also said that tempting as it may be to actually bake the cookies, since your oven’s high temps will kill any E.coli, don’t do it. The bacteria could land on your hands and kitchen counters during preparation.
So what’s a cookie lover to do? Aw honey, bake ‘em from scratch. Mmmm, cookies…
Got a Bugaboo? The Consumer Product Safety folks and Bugaboo just recalled 22,500 Bugaboo Bee strollers after their brakes failed on inclines. Bugaboo has gotten 121 reports of stroller brake failure – no injuries, fortunately. If you bought yours – look for item code 580210 on a label on the back of the seat and â€śbugabooÂ® beeâ€ť printed on the left side – between 2007 and 2009, stop using it until you can get a free Bugaboo repair kit via the bugaboo.com web site’s special order form or call Bugaboo at (800) 460-2922.