3

Kevin Kouzmanoff optioned to Triple-A; Adam Rosales back and starting at third base

There’s been no shortage of A’s news today, and their game against Baltimore hasn’t even started. I’ve been unable to get on Twitter all day, so check here for your updates tonight … Here’s the lowdown on what’s happened …

The A’s shook up their roster Monday afternoon, optioning starting third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff to Triple-A Sacramento along with reliever Fautino De Los Santos.

To take their spots, infielder Adam Rosales was activated from the disabled list and infielder Scott Sizemore was recalled from Sacramento. Rosales is starting at third base in Monday nights’ series opener against the Baltimore Orioles, and A’s manager Bob Geren said Sizemore will also get time there.

The timing of the Kouzmanoff move is somewhat curious because Andy LaRoche, the only other player getting regular time at third base, was designated for assignment Sunday. Kouzmanoff then went out and homered that day against the Red Sox.

“I’m surprised, I didn’t see it coming,” Kouzmanoff said. “But we’ve got Rosales coming up. He’s healthy. That’s just the way it is.”
Kouzmanoff, viewed as a long-term answer at the position when he was obtained from San Diego in January 2010, is hitting just .221 with four homers and 17 RBIs. He’s also committed nine errors, tied for second most among major league third baseman. LaRoche was hitting .247 with no homers and five RBIs.

“The production from that spot has not been there offensively and defensively,” Geren said. “Now we’re going to give someone else a chance to produce in that spot.”

Rosales, who hit .271 with seven homers and 31 RBIs in 80 games last season, has missed all of this season with a fractured right foot. He saw time at all four infield spots last year.

Sizemore was obtained in a trade from Detroit last week for reliever David Purcey. He also has been playing third base at Sacramento.

Kouzmanoff said it was a challenge coming to the park not knowing if he’d be in the lineup every day.

“I feel like you play better walking into that clubhouse every day knowing that you’re going to be in the lineup,” he said.

But he added: “I’m a better baseball player than (what he’s showed). I know it’s in there. It’s a blessing for me to go down, get my work in and find it again.”

The news follows up word earlier Monday that left-hander Brett Anderson is going back to the Bay Area to get his left elbow checked.

Geren declined comment on whether Anderson would miss his next scheduled start Friday against the White Sox, saying only that Anderson was being checked by team doctors.

Geren also announced that Guillermo Moscoso will start Tuesday against the Orioles, with Josh Outman staying on regular rest and pitching Wednesday. Moscoso was needed in relief both Friday and Saturday, giving him just two days’ rest before Tuesday’s start.

Joe Stiglich

  • Marc

    Kooz was 8 for his last 25 yet they send him down.???! It’s official, I’m DONE

  • wesley strzegowski

    Marc…You made the right decision for the rest of the year. the A’s are a terrible team this year. I watch the yanks to lose now and pull for Cleveland and the Mets. The era of the A’s being a winner is over. Eventually bad management destroys a team.

  • Jan K Oski

    uhhh… too bad, defense is 50% of the game for 8 of 9 batters. Apparently, some fans are what-have-you-done-for-me-lately type of Americans and were waiting for an excuse to jump ship. I understand the frustration with a losing team, but the whining from men on this blog is just more proof of the feminism of our society. Isn’t there some type of woman’s group you girly men can join? Fortunately, the team will still show up and play the games. Thanks for the objective assessment, Joe! It keeps me coming back every few days, even though this brand of baseball is an ugly sort.