BearTalk

Cal Sports Live and Direct

Montgomery talks

By Jonathan Okanes
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008 at 12:27 pm in off-season stuff.

I just got off the phone with James Montgomery, and he said the main reason he decided to leave Cal is that he simply never felt comfortable there.

Coming to Cal in the first place wasn’t a slam dunk for Montgomery. He’s said it before and he told me again on the phone that his choice to attend Cal was more of a family decision. Even when he was being recruited, Montgomery wasn’t sure Cal was the right fit for him. But his family really wanted him to stay close to home, and as Montgomery put it, “they basically told me to go work hard and try to make it work.” He said he did that but “didn’t feel happy in Berkeley. I never felt it at Berkeley. It never really did it fr me.”

Montgomery also said he never made the comments that were reported by RealDawg.com that questioned Cal’s tradition or its ability to sell out games even when the team was highly ranked.

“There’s a lot being twisted,” Montgomery said. “I would never talk bad about Cal. Everybody knows I’m a team guy.”

Indeed, the comments from RealDawg.com seemed out of character from Montgomery. I can’t say if he actually made those comments or not, but just based on my interaction with him, they were surprising. But again, I’m not in position to choose to believe either side because I obviously wasn’t there for the conversation.

Montgomery also said the competition with Jahvid Best for playing time had nothing to do with his departure.

“People keep asking me about the competition with Jahvid. It was never about that,” Montgomery said. “The best guy plays wherever you go. We’re such a tight group, we didn’t even care who played. People think there is a rivalry, but we did everything together, on and off the field. There were never any malicious thoughts.”

Montgomery said even though his heart told him he wasn’t comfortable at Cal, it was still a tough decision because of the friendships he had made.

“Everybody knows I love (my teammates),” Montgomery said. “It was never about them. They’re my guys. We’ve been through a lot together. It was my decision.”

Montgomery said he plans on finishing the semester at Cal and is “checking out a couple of schools right now.” I asked him specifically about some of the schools that have been speculated (Washington, Oregon, Florida, Fresno State), but he declined to get into specifics.

Although Montgomery said he never was really comfortable at Cal, he said he went in with an open mind and sincerely tried to make it work.

“I went in and worked hard,” Montgomery said. “I didn’t come here to not make it work. I came here and worked hard. It’s just more how I felt.”

• MemorialSectionHH

BAM! 100!!!!!

• MoreNCsarecoming

BlueNGold Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 9:41 am
    Just so you know, the NCAA does not administer all intercollegiate sports.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for finally answering the question. Rugby is not a fully sanctioned sport by the NCAA. It is a club sport.

Therefore, it is absurd to place the value of winning that championship above or even equal to the value of winning the NC in men’s collegiate football or basketball. It is a terribly weak point you Berkley fans try to make.

Your rugby program is a legend only in your own minds. Many great colleges don’t even care about rugby. You guys are so championship starved you will settle for anything to put in your empty trophy case.

Best regards

MoreNCsarecoming

• MoreNCsarecoming

Jan K. Oski Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 11:00 am
    Hey Cybil,

If any of your questions were relevant to the grand scheme of things, I might actually ponder it. >>>>> We can all see you do.

Instead, no one in their right mind should waste a nanosecond with words on your pathetic cry for attention.>>>>>> Who do you mean by “no one”. You do a good job of it!

You need a dart with a tranquilizer to return you home to the Saliva yard in Napa. If you need assistance, I can arrange it for you. Come to think of it, it’s a darn shame they no longer use electro-shock therapy. I believe in your case, it would be most beneficial. Actually, I could arrange that for you, too, since we have a few electrophoresis devices in the lab. A good jolt of 0.5 Amps would put you in tip top shape, but you would be surrounded by mostly Cal grads. I doubt you could handle that. You could purchase one on ebay for cheap and experiment on yourself. Start high on the Amp meter! Here’s to self-discovery!>>>>> Are those the wasted nanosecond words you were referring to? In some people’s books that’s what you call hypocrisy. Don’t you think you should stay away from the lab? It looks like you have been doing adminstering your own treatments if your rant was truly written by you.

• Big D

I care about Rugby. This is a Cal board and we at CAL care very much about Rugby, If you don’t like it then go somewhere else because we don’t care if YOU like Rugby or not. Who the hell are YOU?

• Iamalcindor

When you have no other winning tradition, of course you are going to care about rugby to make you feel better. If Berkley won 30 national championships in basket weaving or ping-pong, you’d care about that too

What a joke

• Jan K Oski

Hey Amy,

Get a clue! We don’t respond to you for your sake. We respond to you for the sake of Cal. And, we don’t want the youth of our society to think that your antics are normal and acceptable. Thirdly, I write in response to you for comic relief for all Cal fans. Finally, I share a hope with several other members here that J.O. or someone in the CC times will have enough of this and will start to delete your babble. With nearly 100 post of your split personality and our responses, someone might get a clue at the CC times. By the way, I have seen Cal Blogger on Bear’s Insider. Did you get banned? LOL!

• Iamalcindor

Cal Blogger? He trashed my scout mailbox recently. Did Grey Bear ban him because he thought it was me? Hahahaha! I love it! I am a legend, I strike fear on Bear Insider. Every negative post is attributed to me. I am your worst nightmare.

Say hello to Kevin Hart

• Iamalcindor

Speaking of Kevin Hart. Didn’t you idiots blame me for Kevin Hart fiasco as well? Berkley fans are such morons, it’s beyond ridiculous!

• BlueNGold

what a joke what a joke what a joke. You are a broken record, just like your lame excuse for a marching band that only knows one very monotonous song and can’t march. If you had any life at all you would realize how ridiculous you look (and read) by spending so much time posting here. And if you knew anything about Cal rugby, which you obviously don’t, you would realize that the team plays the best college teams in the country, as well as playing internationally and against the top teams of the rugby super league. So Cal rugby is far and away a superior program to the spoiled children’s football team.

• ReggieBushFan

Guys, ignore her. With the way the comments are set up it’s impossible to ban her completely, and JO shouldn’t have to baby-sit his blog. Just accept the fact that there will be 2 or 3 comments a day fishing for a fight and ignore her. You’ll take away 9/10 of her posts (of her life?) by not responding. That’s way more hilarious than any of your insults have been. The other boards make it clear she won’t stop or be convinced by arguments, so suck it up and take away most of her fun. And Cal is not metaphysically wounded by there being mean comments left undefended, so don’t feel pressured to “defend the University.” It will do that well enough for itself when we beat them next year.

• lessncarecoming

BlueNGold Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 2:38 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Keep posting and keep talking to yourself. One of these days (along with some of your alumni friends who are hard up for a championship) you may just convince yourself you are right!

• MoreNCsarecoming

ReggieBushFan Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Finally an alumnus that makes sense. I guess that Social Welfare degree finally did pay off.

Best regards

MoreNCsarecoming

• MoreNCsarecoming

Mark Sanchez Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 10:03 am
    Hey moron,

How worried are you about the sanctions USC football faces with the Reggie Bush debacle? >>>>>>>> Not much…

Some of my colleagues down at Pillsbury, Winthrop were telling me that Reggie is undoubtedly liable. >>>>>>>> Once again that Social Welfare degree you earned demonstrates it has zero value in real life (except to keep your mercernaries eligible). So what if Reggie is “undoubtedly liable.” The question is – Is the USC program liable because it either promoted the indiscretions or had a hand in facilitating it? Nothing has been proven, nothing will be proven. Reggie should pay for his indiscretions as well as that corrupt wannabe agent. OTOH, our program remains squeaky clean.

Best regards

MoreNCsarecoming

• BluenGold

lessncarecoming Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 11:08 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    You responded so I am obviously not talking to myself. And what I posted happens to be true. Whether a brain dead loser with no life like you believes it or not.

• STEVE IN CONCORD

Amy-
    Enough already. We all know you love everything about U$C and hate everything about CAL. Point made. Who really cares what one pathetic person thinks anyway? Now please go away and leave us alone!

• BearsOwnYou

Cal did finish in 1st place for the director’s cup standings in the Fall – second year in a row. I wonder when the university will have some winning tradition to be proud of? Oh i worry… of course, nobel laureates are different kind of “winning tradition”… but i think Cal has achieved storied all around success. That’s right – well rounded students with a social conscience. I wouldnt have gone to any other school in the world. Go Bears!

• Al da BERKELEY KID

yea AMY go and give your dad a HAND. and not the one you give yourself. he’s tired of having to claim you as his son.