BearTalk

Cal Sports Live and Direct

Cal football: Nate Longshore and the NFL Draft

By Jonathan Okanes
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 at 9:38 pm in off-season stuff.

Before the 2007 season began, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr.  had Nate Longshore rated as the No. 1 junior quarterback in the country. Coming off a terrific 2006 season, Longshore appeared to be on his way to being a very high draft pick some day.

We all know what happened since then: The ankle injury midway through 2007, the inconsistent play that followed, the loss of his starting job for most of last season.

With the NFL Draft coming this weekend, it’s now looking as though Longshore won’t be drafted at all.

Most draft analysts don’t even have Longshore listed as one of the top 25 quarterbacks in the draft. When Kiper was asked on a conference call last week if he thought Longshore would go undrafted, he answered “Yes” without hesitation.

But Longshore is staying positive. Saying that he feels healthy for the first time since that career-altering ankle injury at Oregon in 2007, Longshore is confident he can play in the NFL, even if he has to go the free agent route this fall.

“I’m excited to get the opportunity to go in there and show what I’m capable of,” Longshore said. “As long as I get that chance, I’ll live. I’m just ready to go to work somewhere. I’m looking forward to August, getting into some preseason games and doing what i’m capable of doing when I feel good.”

Longshore says he didn’t feel completely healthy in any game since the middle of the 2007 season. He said the affects of the ankle injury stayed with him for the rest of that year, and then the partially torn pectoral muscle he suffered last spring hindered him for all of 2008.

He says he feels healthy now. He had a good showing at Cal’s Pro Day last month and last week worked out for the 49ers. His agent, Erik Burkhardt, has been sending film to NFL teams of Longshore’s 2006 season, just to illustrate what his client can do when he’s healthy. He’s also juxtaposing that to film of the past two years, to show the difference the injuries made.

Longshore and Burkhardt said they have received increased interest during these last few days before the draft, and Burkhardt believes Longshore will be drafted in the fifth or sixth round. At the very least, Longshore should be in a camp this fall as a free agent.

For more on Longshore, here’s my story that will run in Thursday’s paper.

Some additional points Longshore made during our conversation:

–He said the reason he played better in the first half during games is he was able to get shot up with pain medication before the game, so the injuries didn’t affect him as much. But as the pain medication wore off, his game suffered. He couldn’t get another injection at halftime of games because it wasn’t considered to be medically safe.

–After complaining at the end of the season that he didn’t get a fair chance this season, Longshore said having time to reflect gave him more understanding of Jeff Tedford’s decision-making.

“If you have one guy who is completely healthy and coming on strong and your veteran is a little banged up, you have to do what you feel is best,” Longshore said. “I can’t blame him or be mad at him for that. I don’t fault him for anything. I understand that I wasn’t playing nearly as well as I needed to be effective.”

–Longshore said he never considered shutting it down and trying to get an extra year. He felt he could play through the injuries and give the team a chance to win.

–Longshore said he is throwing the ball right now even better than he did in 2006. He said he worked out with former Cal receiver Lavelle Hawkins the other day and Hawkins told him, “When did you start throwing like this?”

–No matter what happens this weekend, this is an exciting time of Longshore’s life. He and his wife, Rachel, are expecting a baby girl in August.

“There’s a lot going on and I’m definitely enjoying it,” he said. “There are lots of things that make life great, and it’s not always football. But I’m definitely having a good time. Life couldn’t be any better.”

–Longshore said he expects to finish up his American Studies degree this summer.

• MoreNCsarecoming

So what is more of a proof of a slow news day? An article on Longshore and his NFL chances or a report on the rugby team as it prepares to play Cal Pomona for the rugby clbu sport finals championship.

• Will

How was Israel? LOL

• Johnny

GOOD LUCK, NATE!

Man, I would give a lot to see Nate make a team next year.

Will Says:
    April 22nd, 2009 at 11:17 pm
    How was Israel? >>>> haven’t been yet. However if you want to give me a send off here is my flight itinerary

April 27 – CO 1810 connects to CO 50 connects to CO91
    May 5- surface to Amman, Jordan
    May 8 – CO 91 connects to CO 211 connects to CO1889

I will be staying in the David Citadel Hotel in Jerusalem, The Moriah Plaza at the Dead Sea, Taybet Zaman in Wadi Musa and th eMoriah Plaza in Tiberias. Why don’t you bring AmyFAN, Gloden Bear and Sherm with you to see me off. Stalking appears to be your thing.Better yet why don’t all four of you enjoy your sad lives together and think of something to do while I am gone.

• BeastMode

Sad lives? You’re the SC fan (not alum) that stalks Cal blogs and articles. That’s pretty pathetic.

• AmyFan4Life

Amy! why do you go to Amman instead of directly into one of several Israeli airports? what’s in Amman for you? You’re not getting involved in those protest of the wall are you? i know there are i knew i picked the right girl to start a one person fan club.

AmyFan4Life Says:
    April 23rd, 2009 at 8:23 am
    Amy! why do you go to Amman instead of directly into one of several Israeli airports? what’s in Amman for you? >>>> What a joke you are. Check out my flights. They are into and out of Tel Aviv Ben Gurion. Obviously you haven’t flown much and have zero international experience.

what’s in Amman for you? >>>>> Ever heard of Petra? It is one of the greatest archaeological sites in the world. What would you know being a Social Welfare major.

You’re not getting involved in those protest of the wall are you? >>>> No but I don’t agree with the wall either.

If you give me the carrier, the date and times for your flight, I’ll be there. Double dog dare you!>>>>> Once again your level of travel is infantile. If you will look at what I have posted I have already given you that information. We are flying Business Class too so hope that helps. The last time I told you I would be at one of your games you never showed up. I won’t be holding my breath at the airport but I will wear something with USC on it just for you. If you show up how about wearing a Rugby shirt with the words “We are the #1 Club Sport Team in America”.

BeastMode Says:
    April 23rd, 2009 at 7:07 am
    Sad lives? You’re the SC fan (not alum) that stalks Cal blogs and articles. That’s pretty pathetic>>>>>>> I guess you didn’t read post #6. AmyFan writes “If you give me the carrier, the date and times for your flight, I’ll be there. Double dog dare you!”

Now that’s what a stalker is all about! And I half believe him/her/it because it has no life but to chase me around the internet and now through airports. I just showed my dad the post and shaking his head he said “How embarassing for a Cal grad to represent his school that way.” When I told my dad it could very well be one of the advisors in one of the departments at the school he just laughed saying “I bet I could narrow down which departments.”

• Larry

I predict Longshore will be the 2009 draft’s last pick and get the trip to Disneyland as “Mr. Irrelevant”.

• Will

You show your dad the posts on a website that you use? Wow. And you’re what, 30 years old? I’m ashamed that your dad supposedly went to Cal, for producing such pathetic offspring. And you’re still traveling with him instead of with friends? Do you not have any?

• Rock

Slow news day? Uh, this is the Cal sports blog. You’re a moron.

• Dustin

# Larry Says:
    April 23rd, 2009 at 10:01 am

>>>>>>>>>>>

That’d be sweet!

• wehofx

morons thinks anyone who slams it for its $c posts on Cal football blogs are stalkers. Ah, duh, if you weren’t posting such pathetic crap on Cal football blogs, you wouldn’t be “stalked.” I don’t know which is worse, the hijacking troll’s stupidity. Or its pathology.

Creepy. It really does live at home. It shares its wack posts with its dad – meaning that is all it has going on in its life to talk about. It goes on vacation with its parents. The women and clubs in Tel Aviv are supposed to be amazing. What do you want to bet It goes clubbing with its mom?

Really creepy. As I believe G Bear would say, “Pity the troll.”

• Will

• drrover

I say, “Good luck, Nate!” Despite his myriad injuries and shoddy play when he lacked confidence, there were times when he was simply on fire. He brought a lot to the Cal program, and I wish him well.

Will Says:
    April 23rd, 2009 at 6:05 pm
    It’s mom is nowhere to be found. Left him at a young age. Why do you think he talks about his daddy all the time, but nothing about his mother? >>>>>> While I am away you will have two weeks to think and ponder about your next series of lies. At least you won’t be having to F5 your keyboard every 5 minutes waiting and hoping I will post a message. What a miserable life you have. I didn’t realize I made your day so meaningful. Maybe I can use you as a dependent for tax purposes. It’s about all your sad sorry life is worth.

• Cuidado

Now that’s the pot calling the kettle black!

• AmyFan4Life

Amy, deny away, but we all know you’re the sad story.

AmyFan4Life Says:
    April 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 pm
    Amy, deny away, but we all know you’re the sad story.>>>>> HAHAHAHA!!!! Spoken by one who earlier in the day made this comment – “If you give me the carrier, the date and times for your flight, I’ll be there. Double dog dare you!”

An admitted internet stalker who now promises and is obligated to show up at the airport to find me. How’s about if I make your life easier. YOu show up like you promised holding up a sign saying “Cal State Rugby is the #1 Club Sport in America” and on the back of it put “I am an Advisor for Social Welfare students” and I will end my presence on this board. Do we have a deal? I listed the dates and times of my flights. You won’t do it just like your fans reneged on the scout board after in 2004 after I won that bet. Do I see a pattern of behavior?

• BluenGold

Keep posting all your worthless rubbish, moron. It only reinforces the obvious fact that you are a dummass clueless pathetic loser of a troll.

• AmyFan4Life

Amy, calm yourself! your poor wrist must be hurting after pressing F5 all those 70 minutes between post. Owned by the CC Times! not many people can say that these days.

if it’s so easy to find those details, why haven’t you offered them, Amy? since you can’t deliver on my dare, why would I on yours?

i will be there taking pictures of you on May 8th. smile for the camera and show off your double chin, you big hunk of meat! hold off on the Twinkies. we don’t want anyone to think you’re a complete slob.

• Teff EdFord (also from Concord)

GOod luck Nate! I’m sure all the fans who booed you off the field apologize (well, maybe not).

Troll, forget Israel or wherever, please take a nice cruise in a really slow but expensive sloop down the east coast of Africa.

AmyFan4Life Says:
    April 24th, 2009 at 9:14 am
    if it’s so easy to find those details, why haven’t you offered them, Amy? >>>>>> I have offered you all the detail you need. I didn’t realize you were such a sorry child when it comes to air travel. Can’t you even look up airline code and flight numbers on your own? What a joke! But what to expect from Social Welfare majors under the tutelage of AdvisingBear. Maybe you should take lessons from AB on how to insult female students of a certain color and act with irrational anger.

since you can’t deliver on my dare, why would I on yours? >>>>> You won’t be there. You are nothing but a big mouth and a name. I told you I would meet you at a game two years ago and you never showed up.

Wonderlik scores…

Alex Mack – 26 (but much lower than Stanford’s Alex Fletcher’s 35)

Rulon Davis – 15 and 17 (tied for 4th LOWEST on the DEs and the least improved on the second test from the first test of the lower eschelon)

Worrell Williams – 14 and 16 (his average just about ties for the lowest of the ILs)

Zach Follett – 15 and 22 (compared to Brian Cushing at 23 and 26 with Cush tying for second highest in the second take; Clay Matthews had 27 & 26 which made him the HIGHEST of all ILs).

Kevin Ellison – 31 (HIGHEST of all Strong Safeties)

Finally Mark Sanchez – 28 (higher than any of your players including that guy who won the Dreaded Award)

Once again the #1 public U takes a back seat to USC. Maybe you shouldn’t pile all of your players into Social Welfare and Sociology programs so that they can get a good education.

• AmyFan4Life

Amy, why should I spend a nanosecond looking at airline sites, when you can deliver? What are you really afraid of? If you just typed it, we wouldn’t need to go back and forth on this.

what is this talk about meeting you 2 years ago? I’ve only joined and started your fan club last year. I already told you that I’m not a Berkly fan, but I’ve heard you’re beginning to call USC, U$C on the scout boards. why is that, if you are a fan? Then, you called OJ Mayo, Payo? That’s not playing nicely, Amy! did you forget your pills? It looks like Ionobird will never let you back on the SCPlayBook with those remarks. Opps!

I’m still waiting for you to reply to my messages over there…

enjoy your Twinkies lunch!

We’re watching you, Amy.

• Will

OJ Payo? hahaha good one.

Anyway, Patty Cakes, I love how in your weak attempts to prove how you have a life, you make yourself look even more pathetic. Thanks for telling your flight information to the world. I think other people who might have booked tickets on that flight are now aware of the inevitable stench that will be present on board and will try to reschedule.

Anyway, in the process of doing so, here are the facts:

1. You live with your dad. You’re crying about posts that people make about you to your daddy. Aww how sad.

2. You’re taking a trip halfway around the world, and yet you don’t go with friends, you go with your parents? That’s what 10 year olds do when they go to Disneyland. Did your parents also take you to Atlantic City last year?

3. Say what you will about Alex Mack, but he’s got a Masters, and you don’t even have a B.A. And criticize Rulon all you want, but he served our country. Even you have to admit that’s admirable, or are you so vain in your admiration of $C football to not acknowledge that?I bet your pathetic $C players took some mental stimulant to boost their scores; we all know that’s what they do on the field.

4. You want to talk about insulting people of color? Does Clay Matthews and the “White Nation” mean anything to you? You’re probably the admin of that group now. So not only do these fools take steroids, they’re also racists.

5. I still love how you cried for so long about how you want football related posts, and when I gave you one, this website magically refused to publish your response. Shows what a coward you are.

6. If your mother hasn’t left you, why don’t you ever bring her up? You bring up “daddy” all the time. Where’s “mommy”?

• calbear

Pac-10 Academic honors:
    Jason Bondzio, Arizona
    Anthony Reyes, Arizona State
    Alex Mack, California
    Zach Smith, California
    Will Ta’ufo’ou, California
    Nick Reed, Oregon
    Andrew Levitre, Oregon State
    Logan Paulsen, UCLA
    Jeff Byers, USC
    Vaughn Lesuma, Washington State
    Matt Mullennix, Washington State

I’m not going to say anything about this. It’s fairly obvious.

• calbear

btw:
    longshore scored a 37 on the wonderLICK

• Will

Actually, it’s wonderLIC. But Calbear, you’re actually a bright guy and you don’t have the history of grammatical follies like Patty Cakes, so we can chalk this one up as a typo.

Say what you will about how great $C’s football team is, because they are good on the field (setting aside their ethical issues). But your jabs at Cal’s academics are laughable, especially since the team you support is the University of Second Choice.

• calbear

i know it’s wonderlik.

it’s more funny as wonderlick.

• calbear

Gruden to Oregon?

He’s wearing a DUCKS jacket in the latest NFL.com Mock Draft Feature.

I remember hearing news of this earlier but thought he declined…

Will Says:
    April 24th, 2009 at 2:40 pm
    OJ Payo? hahaha good one. >>>>Have no clue what you are referring to. Good to know you laugh at your own jokes.

1. You’re crying about posts that people make about you to your daddy. >>>> Nope. I showed him what an advisor in one of the academic departments is doing with his time and energy at the expense to taxpayer money.

2. You’re taking a trip halfway around the world, and yet you don’t go with friends, you go with your parents? >>>>> Irrelevant. I have been on plenty of trips with friends.This is my birthday gift and a nice one I might add.

3. Say what you will about Alex Mack, but he’s got a Masters, and you don’t even have a B.A.>>>> Yes I do.

I bet your pathetic $C players took some mental stimulant to boost their scores; >>>>> Another empty assertion with no proof. Look I know how hurtful it is to you to see how our players performed better than yours. All of that chest pumping on this board about being the #1 public u on this board only to be spanked by these scores. How humiliating to wake up one day and realize what the rest of us have been saying. Your school is a dinosaur. Furthermore one of the dirty secrets of the Tedford era is that academic standards were lowered for your players and then they were railroaded into the “gimmee” majors. Those scores of your players including Brandon Mebane’s off the chart 8 should be case in point that the Tedford era has arrived in full blossom except without the championships to show for it.

we all know that’s what they do on the field. >>>> Win, right?

4. You want to talk about insulting people of color? Does Clay Matthews and the “White Nation” mean anything to you? >>>> That has been proven to be a farce just like the steroids story. I see you like to be titilated by National Enquiresque journalism. You must have picked that up from one of those Social Welfare classes.

5. I still love how you cried for so long about how you want football related posts, and when I gave you one, this website magically refused to publish your response. >>>> I stand by my story.

6. If your mother hasn’t left you, why don’t you ever bring her up? >>>> Why don’t you ever bring yours up? Apparently we can make the same conclusion about yours.

Hope you have a safe trip to the Middle East. Maybe this trip will help you get past the tough times you’ve experienced in your life.>>>>> And hopefully you will be able to find something else to do with your miserable life than to stalk me until the day you show up at one of the airports. Remember to bring the sign that your promised to bring – “Cal State Rugby – We are the #1 Club sport in America”.

• calbear

why defend the intelligence of football players anyway?
    Football players have nothing to do with the university’s ranking.

MoreNCs – Where is Sanchez getting drafted?

In your opinion, any surprise USC players get drafted?

calbear Says:
    April 24th, 2009 at 7:56 pm
    why defend the intelligence of football players anyway?
    Football players have nothing to do with the university’s ranking.>>>>> Because there is a smug attitude around these parts that the football players at your school are smarter and more intelligent and they are in school for academics first and football second. They are student athletes. I repeat my earlier point: One of the dirty secrets of the Tedford era is that entrance standards have been relaxed AND players have been herded into gimme degrees and programs. Your players are here to play football first and you just might as well admit it. The test scores were deplorable and disgraceful if you still uphold the mistaken belief that your players are students first. They were never recruited that way, they were never put through your program in that manner and many of them don’t really care anyway.

MoreNCs – Where is Sanchez getting drafted? >>>>> I am told by my source if it isn’t #1 then he drops down to #7. He won’t free fall as far as Rodgers did.

In your opinion, any surprise USC players get drafted?>>>>> In this order: Sanchez, Rey, Cush, Matthews, Moala, Ellisen, Kiki but I don’t think there will be a Thomas Williams in this group who hardly started a game at USC and yet was drafted.

AmyFan4Life Says:
    April 24th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

We’re watching you, Amy.>>>>>>> Gee, why don’t you surprise me and tell me something I don’t already know. Do you even know what you are saying when you say the things you do? I think you just enjoy making dumb statements.

• Jabes

I used to find moren amusing. This is just boring.

And yes, I know, I have just become part of the problem by replying to it.

From now on, here is my pledge –

* Read real content.
    * Ignore troll.
    * Repeat.

I’m sure this will get a troll response, I don’t care, I will not be reading it.

• AmyFan4Life

Amy, when are you going to answer my question?

For everyone else, here’s Amy new calling card:

theAMYthicalprogram

She’s keeping the Sport’s Cal Digest’s forum active. It shows how much she’ll do for attention.

Jabes is right. I’m out of here, but the pictures are still happening Amy! We need a good picture of you for our dart board. Care to save me the trouble?

• calbear

morencs-

thanks for adding the aaron jab. it was super necessary. I’m rooting for Sanchez though. He could go as high as 2! Your thoughts on USC fans telling Sanchez to go back to Mexico when he wore his mouth guard?

AmyFan4Life Says:
    April 24th, 2009 at 11:29 pm
    We need a good picture of you for our dart board. Care to save me the trouble?>>>>> Sure. Can you send me your address to your business in Folsom? How is the subprime mortgage business doing?

I have a question for the readers: I have been looking into some grad schools and I have been told that TCU is generally speaking held on the same level as your program. OTOH I have been told that it is just a “poor man’s SMU”. What is the general sentiment of the viewership? I have heard those private Texas schools with the exception of Rice are laughable.YOur comments please.

• BluenGold

Its a real shame that this blog has degenerated into a non stop p*ssing match with a pathetic, no life, brain dead troll whose only purpose and satisfaction in life is to make a pain in the a$$ of itself to Cal sports fans…why can’t the CCTimes put a stop to this?

• Will

Graduate school? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• calbear

MoreNCs – i’m not trying to attack you. Just interested in what you thought about that.

I’m not saying cal fans are any better, booing Longshore and what not. though the criticisms are different…