Here’s my story from this morning’s editions, looking at the Bears’ season-opener tonight against Murray State.
Here’s a season preview story on the Racers, courtesy of the Louisville Courier-Journal.
If it seems the college basketball season is starting earlier every year, this is the earliest opening date in Cal history. The Cal-Murray State game is one of four contests opening the season tonight, all of them part of the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament.
The others: Florida International at North Carolina, Alcorn State at Ohio State and Albany at Syracuse.
Keep in mind, results of these early-round games have no bearing on the matchups next Thursday, Nov. 19 at the Coaches vs. Cancer semifinals at Madison Square Garden. Cal will face Syracuse and North Carolina will take on Ohio State, regardless of what happens this week.
FYI, here are season-opening opponents and dates for the rest of the Pac-10:
– Arizona: vs. Northern Arizona, Sunday, Nov. 15
– Arizona State: vs. Western Illinois, Friday, Nov. 13
– Oregon: vs. UC Davis, Saturday. Nov. 14
– Oregon State: at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Friday, Nov. 13
– Stanford: at San Diego, Friday, Nov. 13
– UCLA: vs. Cal State Fullerton, Monday, Nov. 16
– USC: vs, UC Riverside, Tuesday, Nov. 17
– Washington: vs. Belmont, Saturday, Nov. 14
– Washington State: vs. Mississippi Valley State, Friday, Nov. 13