Better than a 27-point loss to Portland, but . . .
AROUND THE PAC-10
– UCLA (2-3) fell below .500 for the first time in the Ben Howland era after a 69-67 loss to No. 12 Butler at the 76 Classic in Anaheim. Nikola Dragovic scored 14 points for the Bruins, who rallied from eight points down in the final minutes, but Butler’s Gordon Hayward made two FTs with 1 second left to win the game,
– Arizona State (5-1) allowed LSU to shoot 60 percent in the first half, then held the Tigers to 20 percent the rest of the way in a 71-52 victory in the consolation final of the NIT Season Tip-Off at Madison Square Garden. Senior guard Derek Glasser scored a career-high 24 points and center Eric Boateng added 17.
– USC (2-1) got 15 points and 12 rebounds from Nikola Vucevic in a 74-43 win over Coppin State.
– Washington State (5-0) stayed unbeaten under first-year coach Ken Bone with a 78-69 victory over winless Nicholls State in the semifinals of the Great Alaska Shootout. Klay Thompson scored 21 points and DeAngelo Casto contributed 18 points and 14 rebounds.
THE NATIONAL SCENE
– In a battle of Hall of Fame coaches each with 800 wins, Mike Krzyzewski (839 wins) and No. 7 Duke (6-0) easily dispatched Jim Calhoun (809) and No. 13 UConn (4-1) by a 68-59 margin in the NIT Season Tip-Off championshp game in New York . . . Florida (5-0) upended No. 2 Michigan State (4-1) at the Legends Classic in Atlantic City, N.J., winning 77-74, despite 20 points from Kalin Lucas . . . Lazar Hayward scored 22 points and Marquette (6-0) upset No. 15 Michigan 79-65 in the semifinals of the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla. Manny Harris scored 22 for the Wolverines (3-1) . . . All-America center Cole Aldrich had 14 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots, leading No. 1 Kansas (5-0) to a 112-75 rout of Tennessee Tech . . . Star-on-the-rise Wesley Johnson scored 26 points and Syracuse (6-0) blasted Columbia 85-60 . . . On the heels of dismantling UCLA, Portland (6-0) knocked off No. 22 Minnesota 61-56 in the 76 Classic at Anaheim.
Weber State guard Damian Lillard, a sophomore from Oakland HS, had a season-high 23 points in an 87-70 loss to BYU. Lillard is averaging 19.4 ppg through five games. Lillard, who shot 4-for-8 from 3-point range, also had four rebounds, three assists and three steals.