Well, we don’t know much more about Cal’s bowl fate after Oregon beat Oregon State tonight. Had Oregon State won, you probably could have erased the Sun Bowl from the equation, especially if USC beats Arizona. The Bears could have went to four bowl games before the Civil War and they still can go to four bowl games. But Oregon’s victory makes one thing a little more clear: if Cal beats Washington, the Sun Bowl looks like a strong possibility. The Bears will be in a tie for second with Oregon State, Stanford and the USC/Arizona winner. We already know the Holiday Bowl wants the USC-Arizona winner, so that would leave the Sun Bowl to choose from Cal, Stanford and Oregon St. The Sun Bowl is very interested in Cal, and there is nothing about Stanford or Oregon St. that would make them a more redeeming choice (unless the Sun Bowl believed Toby Gerhart would rake in huge TV ratings, which I doubt).
To beat Washington, Cal will have to do so without starting left guard Matt Summers-Gavin. He has been ruled out of Saturday’s game because of the concussion he sustained against Stanford. This is the fourth game Summers-Gavin has missed this season — the previous three were because of a shoulder injury. Mark Boskovich and Richard Fisher will split time in Summers-Gavin’s place.
Cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson returned to practice tonight and is a go for Saturday. And the field goal kicker will once again be decided during pre-game warm-ups.
Coach Jeff Tedford didn’t have a report about Jahvid Best’s meeting with concussion specialist Michael Connors at the University of Pittsburgh’s Medical Center. He was scheduled to get a debriefing from a team doctor later tonight. But he did explain why Best was sent to Pittsburgh, even though he said Best hasn’t complained about concussion symptoms for a couple of weeks.
“How often do you get taken off on a stretcher?” he said. “If you have a headache, you’re not going to send him to Pittsburgh. If you take him off on a stretcher, you’re going to send him to Pittsburgh. We’re going to exhaust everything we can to make sure he’s OK.”
I will be traveling to Seattle tomorrow and am not sure if I will have time to get on here before I leave. If not, I will certainly check in from the Pacific Northwest. The forecast actually doesn’t call for rain, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
But first, here’s a transcript of today’s live chat. For those of you who participated, again apologies for the technical problems at the beginning and thanks for hanging in there.