Various odds ‘n ends on the day before the start of the Pac-10 season . . .
– My Pac-10 preview from this morning’s editions — first time I can remember picking the Bears to win it.
– My Bay Area News Group colleague Jon Wilner’s picks from the San Jose Merecury News.
– Vic Tafur’s Pac-10 predictions from the SF Chron.
– And Percy Allen’s picks in the Seattle Times.
– My game story on Cal’s win over UC Santa Barbara in the championship game of the Golden Bear Classic.
– A blog item by Doug Haller of the Arizona Republic on the upcoming 10-year anniversary of Hayward HS’s Eddie House scoring 61 points for ASU against Cal. A remarkable game.
– Finally, a belated Happy Birthday to Cal sophomore Jorge Gutierrez, who turned 21 on Sunday. On the same subject, today is one of the best days of the year for sports birthdays. Try this Big 3: Sandy Koufax (74 years old), Tiger Woods (34 years old and getting older fast) and LeBron James (25 years old — the guy looked 25 when he was 18).