Some of you have posed interesting questions regarding possible scenarios beginning Saturday with Cal’s big game against Arizona State.
These are a bit hypothetical and some folks may wonder if we’re jumping gun here. Hey, just having a little fun, so relax.
I’m going to restate the questions, give you my take, and ask your opinion:
1) If Cal beats ASU to clinch a share of the Pac-10 title, do the students storm the court?
I believe the word I’m looking for is, `Duh!’ No doubt in my mind. Most students’ parents either weren’t born yet or were wearing diapers the last time this happened, so heck yes, they party on Newell Court.
2) Do the players cut down the nets if they win Saturday?
I say they don’t because they won’t feel like the job is completely finished. You win the outright title, you take the nets.
3) If Cal beats ASU and the Sun Devils accommodate by losing next Thursday at home to USC (seemingly unlikely in the wake of the Trojans’ inexplicable home loss to Oregon), do the players visit Haas later that night to snip the nets?
My guess is it wouldn’t be an organized activity — although that would be a cool team moment. But if I’m one of the five seniors, I’m texting the other four: Meet you at Haas in a 1/2 hr. Someone bring the scissors.
4) If the Bears wind up clinching the outright title at Stanford, does Mike Montgomery climb the ladder to help take down the nets at his old school?
Sure. Why not? He’d do it without rubbing it in anyone’s face, but he’d do it. And, if it happened, he should enjoy the moment with his team.
5) If the Bears get the outright title a week from Saturday after losing at Stanford but because ASU loses to UCLA, do they still cut down the nets at Maples?
No, but maybe they email ASU coach Herb Sendek a request to send the nets from Wells Fargo Arena.
So, tell me what you think.