AROUND THE PAC-10
While Cal and ASU were playing THE game . . .
– Arizona 71, Stanford 69: The Wildcats (14-14, 8-8) won a thriller at Maples Pavilion as freshman Derrick Williams blocked Jack Trotter’s potential game-winning layup, then freshman MoMo Jones banked in a transition jump shot just before the buzzer. The win was just the second in seven games for the Cats, who got 24 points from Williams and 16 from Jones. Senior Landry Fields scored 24 points for Stanford (13-16, 7-10) and made the choice to pass to Trotter under the basket rather than take the shot that could have won the game. Jeremy Green added 15 for Stanford, which has lost three straight home games after starting the Pac-10 with five wins at Maples.
– Oregon 70, UCLA 68: The Ducks (14-14, 6-10) completed an unexpected road sweep in L.A. when senior guard Tajuan Porter made the go-ahead 3-pointer with 49.6 seconds left. Porter, who has been mired in virtually a season-long slump, scored 29 points and Oregon snapped a six-game losing streak at Pauley Pavilion. Sophomore Jeremy Jacob matched his career-high with 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. The Bruins (13-15, 8-8) , which rallied from a 14-point second half deficit, was led by senior guard Michael Roll, who equaled his career-high with 25 points, and freshman Tyler Honeycutt, who had 13 points and nine assists.
– Oregon State 49, USC 44: The Trojans (16-12, -8), who opened the week still hoping to grab a piece of the Pac-10 title, were swept at home by the Oregon schools. Mike Gerrity scored 13 points for USC, which shot 29.4 percent and has failed to score 50 points in three straight games. The Beavers (13-15, 7-9) were led by senior Seth Tarver, who had 15 points.
– Washington 59, Washington State 52: Isaiah Thomas scored 22 points and the Huskies (19-9, 9-7) moved into third place by beating the Cougars ( 16-12, 6-10). WSU’s Klay Thompson continued to slump, shooting 2-for-14 and scoring five points as the Cougars slipped into a tie for last place.
– Pac-10 standings: Cal 12-5, Arizona State 10-6, Washington 9-7, Arizona 8-8, UCLA 8-8, USC 8-8, Oregon State 7-9, Stanford 7-10, Oregon 6-10, Washington State 6-10.
Omar Samhan (Danville-San Ramon Valley HS) scored 33 points on Senior Night, leading Saint Mary’s to an 88-80 win over Loyola Marymount to clinch second place in the WCC . . . Cory Higgins (Danville-Monte Vista HS) scored a season-high 33 points, leading Colorado to a 75-72 win over Iowa State. Higgins shot 12-for-15 from the field and had six rebounds and four assists . . . Eli Holman (Richmond HS) had nine points, 11 rebounds and three blocks as Detroit topped Youngstown State 62-54 . . . Kyle Roemer (Concord-De La Salle HS) had 18 points, nine rebounds and three assists as Colgate beat Navy 85-73 . . . Brian Stafford (Walnut Creek-Las Lomas HS) contributed 14 points to Denver’s 63-47 win over Louisiana-Lafayette . . . Dior Lowhorn (Berkeley HS) scored 17 points and Kwame Vaughn (Oakland-Skyline HS) had 12, but USF lost to 10-time WCC champ Gonzaga 75-69 . . . Shawn Lewis (Oakland-Bishop O’Dowd HS) scored 14 points as Cal Poly topped UCSB 60-57 . . . Mac Peterson (Antioch-Deer Valley HS) scored 16 points and San Jose State routed Fresno State 72-45.