I am working on my story for the paper and will have more later, but here are some quick notes from today’s press conference announcing Cal will play its 2011 home games at AT&T Park.
- Unlike the Emerald Bowl, the configuration will be changed to have teams on opposite sidelines. In the previous configuation, teams had to share one sideline.
- Extra bleachers will be added to make the capacity 45,000. The sellout crowd for the 2008 Emerald Bowl in which Cal beat Miami was 42,268.
- Athletic director Sandy Barbour acknowledged the biggest disadvantage with AT&T Park is the smaller seating capacity, but said all of the other advantages outweighed the Oakland Coliseum or Candlestick Park. She also said AT&T Park offered the best financial model.
- Jeff Tedford said now that the site for 2011 home games has been determined, it should speed up the process of filling the two remaining open home dates on the schedule.
- Giants president Larry Baer said in the event the Giants make the 2011 postseason and a home conflicts with Cal, the Bears will have to find a different venue.
- Baer said the Giants hope to make AT&T Park feel as much like the new Memorial Stadium as possible in terms of the amenities and atmosphere.
More to come….