Don’t forget our live chat coming up in less than an hour.
Before we do, lots of news after practice today as Cal has set its depth chart. I will have a much more thorough report later, but here are the highlights:
- Starting cornerbacks are Darian Hagan and Marc Anthony
- Keith Browner is the starting outside linebacker on the weakside
- Kendrick Payne is the starter at nose tackle. Ernest Owusu and Deandre Coleman will share the defensive end spot opposite Cameron Jordan.
- Sean Cattouse, Chris Conte, Josh Hill and D.J. Campbell will all be treated as starters and there will be a lot of mixing and matching. Cattouse and D.J. Campbell are the free safeties. Conte and Hill are the strong safeties.
- The starting left guard will be either Brian Schwenke or Dominic Galas. That’s even when Matt Summers-Gavin returns from his knee injury. When he returns, he will move to right tackle.
- Keenan Allen will start at wide receiver opposite Marvin Jones. Jeremy Ross is the No. 3 receiver.
- JC transfer Coleman Edmond will play at wide receiver. The team will take a wait-and-see approach with true freshman Tevin Carter and Kaelin Clay. They will continue to get reps but still could redshirt if they aren’t used.
- Isi Sofele is the backup running back and the No. 1 kick returner. Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson is the No. 3 running back.
- Jeremy Ross is the No. 1 punt returner.
- Eric Stevens is the No. 1 fullback, but he will share time with Will Kapp. Kapp is still getting back to full speed after his concussion.
- Giorgio Tavecchio is the field goal kicker. He’s also the kickoff guy, but is getting pushed by freshman Jed Barnett.