A couple of quick notes before spring training commences tomorrow:
- I found out today that it’s going to be harder than usual to do player interviews this spring. Since the team is bussing to its practice sites, players won’t be available on the field after practice like usual. That’s because the team has to immediately get back on the busses and return to campus. The exception will be Saturdays.
- That doesn’t mean players are only available for interviews on Saturdays, but they have to be pre-arranged at other times. So we should still hear from players this spring, but they won’t be as readily available.
- Jeff Tedford will still speak with the media after every practice.
- One note about the running backs. It appears Trajuan Briggs is completely healed from his ankle and back injuries and will be ready to go tomorrow. Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson is also good to go, so there will be more depth and competition thatn previously expected.
- As for the coverage you can expect here, it will also be a little different than in the past. Because of the downsizing of our staff in recent years, I am needed to work on our copy desk now and then even during spring practice. So I won’t be attending every practice and providing updates. For example this week, I will be there Tuesday and Saturday, but not Thursday. Same for next week. I will of course still strive to provide the most thorough coverage possible.
- That being said, look for my spring preview tomorrow — a look at the top five storylines facing Cal this spring. And I of course will have a report tomorrow night after the first practice.