I’ll have a more lengthy report from today’s scrimmage at Grant High School-Sacramento later tonight, but a few quick hits now:
- Spencer Hagan, who has converted from wide receiver to tight end, was taken to a hospital after getting hit hard in the ribs by a defensive player’s helmet after making a catch. Hagan was expected to remain in the area overnight. Hagan is the only player on the spring roster from the Sacramento area and was having a terrific practice before the injury, which occurred right at the end.
- Speaking of Sacramento, Cal commits Viliama Moala and Puka Lopa were on hand, as was prospect Shaq Thompson, the younger brother of former Cal cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson. Shaq Thompson committed to Cal but re-opened his recruitment but still could wind up with the Bears.
- Also in attendance was running back Brendon Bigelow, another Cal commit from Fresno who is expected to do big things this season if healthy.
- Former Cal quarterback Dave Barr, who now lives in Sacramento, was also on hand.
- Quarterback Allan Bridgford threw three touchdown passes, all with the second team. Two of the scores went to wide reciever Michael Calvin.
- LB Dave Wilkerson has a hip flexor and LB Chris McCain has a concussion. Both sat out practice.
More to come…