No real huge news tonight. A few nuggets:
- Tight end Spencer Ladner was on crutches. Jeff Tedford said he tweaked his knee and was going to get it checked out Friday morning.
- Tedford said right now Isi Sofele’s backups at tailback would be Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson and Mike Manuel, but once again reiterated that the incoming freshmen will get a long, hard look in the fall. He’s mostly talking about Brendan Bigelow and Daniel Lasco. “It would be those two guys right now, but we have some other guys,” Tedford said. “We have some guys coming in who are very talented.”
- When asked if the quarterback competition could be settled by the end of spring practice on April 30, Tedford said “it’s possible.” But he also said one of the candidates would have to significantly separate himself. It still sounds like it will last into fall camp.
- Tedford said there are some positives from having to leave campus for spring practices. “Especially with the year we’re getting ready to have (with home games at AT&T Park), it’s like going on the road every week,” he said. “You have to focus no matter where you are. They learn to get used to it and deal with it. It kind of teaches you to focus on the job at hand no matter where you are.”
- It doesn’t sound like transfer Matt Williams is ready to make an impact on the offensive line this season, at least at this point. Williams is a native of England who didn’t start playing football until age 15.
- “Matt Williams is learning about the speed of the game,” Tedford said. “He’s an attention-to-detail guy. He really wants to get it done. As of right now, it will take awhile.”