Today was the annual Bay Area College Football Media Day at the Hotel Nikko in San Francisco. The head coaches and selected players from the three FBS Bay Area teams were there. Cal was represented by coach Jeff Tedford, linebacker Mychal Kendricks and offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz.
I’ll have much more later, but first a few nuggets:
- Tedford said Witter Rugby Field is ready to go for camp after the fiasco this spring. He did say the field turf had to be redone twice and flooded over at one point after a heavy rain. It’s still undergoing some testing but is ready for the Bears on Saturday.
- Laney College transfer C.J. Anderson recently finished up his schoolwork and is in at Cal and will be on the field Saturday.
- Freshman running back Brendan Bigelow is expected to be ready to practice after recovering from his knee injuries, but Tedford said they will likely limit his reps early on.
- Tight end Spencer Ladner and wide receiver Ross Bostock still aren’t fully recovered from knee injuries and won’t be available at the start of camp.
- After sitting out spring practice and attending a junior college to work on academics, defensive back Josh Hill is back. Tedford said Hill has “matured and grown more than anyone on our football team.”
- Tedford said the Bears likely will be unveiling a white helmet with blue lettering at some point this season.