The Bears had a pretty spirited practice yesterday in their first session in shells (helmet and shoulder pads). Cal actually played surprisingly fast for it being so early in camp, and both the offense and defense had its moments.
Linebacker Chris McCain really stood out early in practice. He shared first team reps with Dan Camporeale and recorded a sack. He also demonstrated good speed and coverage, especially for a player of his size.
Ryan Davis is also in the mix at that weakside outside spot, but right now it looks like McCain at the very least will be in the rotation.
“He’s really rangy,” Cal coach Jeff Tedford said. “He can run. He’s disciplined. He knows what he’s doing. He’s going to play.”
As stated in my earlier post, Tedford was very pleased with the play of his quarterbacks – not just starter Zach Maynard but backups Allan Bridgford and Brock Mansion, too. Mansion threw a couple of especially nice balls yesterday
“We’re getting better every day,” Tedford said. “I thought there was some really special things going on today. The more Zach understands what he’s doing, his zip on the ball, his timing, is getting better and better. He’s doing a great job. Those three are getting better every single day and they are doing some good things. I’ve been pleased. We’re not perfect by any means, but we’re learning “
Tedford touched on several individuals:
- On freshman running back Brendan Bigelow: “We’re really putting him through a lot of drillwork to make sure he’s ready to go. He’s doing a nice job there. When we get pads on, we need to orchestrate some things to get him the ball and see what he can do.”
- On freshman cornerback Stefan McClure: “Stefan looks to be a special guy. He’s done a great job in coverage. He’s very competitive. He’s really stood out.”
- On freshman defensive end Brennan Scarlett: “Scarlett reminds me of Cameron Jordan, the way he can run and his long arms. He can get off the ball.”
- On freshman walk-on wide receiver Bryce McGovern: “Bryce McGovern is doing a really nice job. He’ll probably get some more reps now. He’s really earning everybody’s respect right now.”
- On freshman nose tackle Viliama Moala: “I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone here like Moala. We’ve had some good guys here but Moala holds point so well.”