I talked with coach Jeff Tedford today for some season preview stuff I’m working on and we also discussed some personnel updates following the final scrimmage yesterday:
- Sophomore Allan Bridgford has won the backup QB job. Fifth-year senior Brock Mansion is the No. 3 guy.
- Junior Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson is the No. 2 running back, but Tedford said “for now.” He said JC transfer C.J. Anderson is coming on and should continue to make the No. 2 position competitive.
- No decision yet on the weakside outside linebacker spot. Chris McCain, Cecil Whiteside and Ryan Davis continue to battle there. Tedford said freshman Brennan Scarlett is also playing more and more linebacker rather than defensive end and could be in the mix at that spot. The coaches haven’t decided yet who will take the first reps there on Thursday, but Tedford said right now it is “by committee.”
- Several true freshmen will play. Along with McCain, Whiteside and
Scarlett, nose tackle Viliama Moala, safety Avery Walls and cornerback Stefan McClure should be in the playing rotation. And Tedford said tight end Richard Rodgers will probably play as well, as the health of Spencer Ladner is still up in the air.
- It looks as though freshman running back Brendan Bigelow likely will redshirt. Cal doesn’t have to make that decision now, and there’s always the possibility he could come on early in the season as he continues to adjust. But it looks as though the rust of not playing last season was too much to overcome for Bigelow. He’s still getting used to playing on his twice-torn up knee and isn’t ready yet, although Tedford said Bigelow is getting better every day.
- Michael Calvin is the No. 3 receiver but Coleman Edmond is coming on and definitely is in the mix to get snaps.