Cal released its depth chart today for the season-opener. It can be found here.
A couple of highlights:
- Covaughn DeBoskie-Johnson, for now, has held off C.J. Anderson for the backup running back spot. It wouldn’t be a total shock if each got some time spelling Isi Sofele on Saturday.
- With Spencer Ladner still sidelined, Spencer Hagan has moved up to the No. 2 spot at tight end.
- True freshman Mustafa Jalil obviously is making an impact at defensive end. He’s listed as the co-backup to Trevor Guyton, along with Gabe King.
- Aaron Tipoti is listed as the backup at nose guard — not Viliama Moala — even though Tipoti has been out with a concussion.
- Ryan Davis is the backup to Dan Camporeale at one outside linebacker spot, but it figures to still be competitive with Cecil Whiteside.
- Freshman Avery Walls isn’t on the two-deep despite a good spring and training camp. Michael Coley and Josh Hill likely are ahead of him in nickel situations.
- Marvin Jones will start the season as the No. 1 punt returner over Keenan Allen. Coleman Edmond is the top kick returner over Mike Manuel.