The start of the fall basketball signing period is next Wednesday and the Bears are focused on three prospects who have made recent campus visits:
– Shooting guard Tyrone Wallace, 6-4, 180, of Bakersfield HS, is rated the No. 78 overall prospect by Rivals.com, the No. 17 player at his position. Wallace also is considering Colorado and Oregon.
– Power forward Zena Edosomwan, a 6-8, 215-pounder from Harvard Westlake HS in North Hollywood, is rated the No.62 overall prospect by Scout.com, No. 128 overall prospect by Rivals. Word is he may wait to see if he qualifies academically for Harvard. USC also is coming on strong, but Edosmwan apparently doesn’t want to stay home for college. Perhaps Cal is the happy medium — great academics, close enough for mom and dad, not too close for Zena.
– Power forward/center Landen Lucas is a 6-8, 240-pounder from
Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev., Westview HS in Oregon. He’s rated the No. 27 center prospect by Scout. Lucas likes Cal and Stanford, but is taking a trip to Washington this weekend, so he has several good choices. Update: Lucas played last season at Findlay but is back in Oregon. Thanks to “Bay Area Dude” for the tip.
Cal already has a commitment from Kaileb Rodriguez, a 6-9 power forward from Highlands Ranch, Colo.
Meanwhile . . .
– Arizona got a commitment this week from 7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski, a five-star prospect from New Hampshire who is attending Southborough (Mass.) St. Mark’s. He picks the Cats over Kansas. Along with Brandon Ashley, Gabe York and Grant Jarrett, Tarczewski gives the Wildcats a 2012 class that will be ranked among the very best in the country.
– Rosco Allen, a 6-8 small forward from Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas, committed to Stanford after canceling a planned recruiting trip to North Carolina. Allen, ranked the No. 73 prospect in the nation by Rivals, is Stanford’s third commitment this fall.
– Findlay Prep point guard and East Bay native Dominic Artis, who decommitted from UCLA early this fall, will attend Oregon, where he will join former high school teammate Jabari Brown, a freshman guard for the Ducks. Artis is rated the No. 52 overall prospect by Rivals.