UCLA may have wished it had taken Veterans Day off.
– Loyola Marymount 69, UCLA 58: The 17th-ranked Bruins, opening their “home” season at the L.A. Sports Arena as Pauley Pavilion undergoes season-long renovations, were stunned by an LMU team that went 2-12 in the West Coast Conference last season. Reeves Nelson and David Wear each scored 13 points for the Bruins and Travis Wear had 11. But center Joshua Smith had just five points in 16 minutes and UCLA’s guards — the team’s biggest mark — combined to score 16 points on 6 for 23 shooting.
– Stanford 91, Central Arkansas 52: Aaron Bright scored 16 points to lead five Cardinal players in double figures, including frehman guard Chasson Randle, who had 15 points, six rebounds and four assists in his collegiate debut. Anthony Brown and Josh Owens added 13 points apiece against a team that was 5-24 last year and has won just one game since Dec. 21, 2010.
– USC 66, Cal State Northridge 59: 7-foot newcomer Dewayne Dedmon had 16 points, eight rebounds and three blocks and Maurice Jones and Aaron Fuller also scored 16 points each as the Trojans held off the Matadors in their opener.
– Vanderbilt 77, Oregon 64: The No. 7 Commodores squeezed 20 turnovers out of the Ducks to win in Nashville. Wake Forest transfer Tony Woods led Oregon with 12 points. Freshman Jabari Brown of Oakland had seven points and six turnovers in his debut.
– Colorado 85, Ft. Lewis 57: Austin DeFault had 18 points and 10 rebounds and Andre Roberson had 13 points and 15 rebounds as the Buffaloes crunched the Division II Skyhawks.
– Arizona State 78, Montana State 72: The Sun Devils got 17 points and 10 rebounds from junior Trent Lockett and double-digit scoring from all five starters in their opener. Keala King added 16 points and ASU overcame 22 turnovers to win.