Washington tried to take a bite out of the Big Apple on Tuesday night and wound up on the wrong end of a 79-77 decision to unbeaten Marquette.
– Marquette 79, Washington 77: Terrence Ross gave the Huskies (4-3) the lead by making a tough turn-around shot with 19 seconds left, but No. 11 Marquette (8-0) prevailed when Jae Crowder made a 3-pointer with seven seconds left at Madison Square Garden. Ross had 19 points and nine rebounds, C.J. Wilcox battled foul problems to score 15, and Darnell Gant added 14. UW, which lost Friday at Nevada, plays No. 7 Duke at MSG on Saturday.
Meanwhile . . .
— It’s an epidemic: Arizona announced the suspension of freshman point guard Josiah Turner for violation of team policy. Turner, who averages 7.1 points, will not play in Wednesday’s game at Florida. Here’s more on the story from the Arizona Daily Star.
— Here’s the latest from UCLA coach Ben Howland on suspended junior forward Reeves Nelson.
They say you need a scoreboard to know the players. I figure you need one to keep track of players suspended or departed from teams in the Pac-12 since the start of the season:
* Arizona: Freshman G Josiah Turner was suspended for Wednesday’s game against Florida. Freshman F Sidiki Johnson was suspended, then announced he is transferring.
* Cal: Sophomore F Richard Solomon currently serving indefinite suspension.
* Oregon: Freshman G Jabari Brown and freshman G Bruce Barron announced they will transfer.
* UCLA: Junior F Reeves Nelson currently serving second indefinite suspension.
* Utah: Senior G Josh Watkins currently serving indefinite suspension.
* Washington State: Junior F D.J. Shelton currently serving indefinite suspension.