A wrapup of what Cal athletes did Sunday at the London Olympics:
– The headliner was swimmer Dana Vollmer, who set a world record in the 100-meter butterfly while winning the gold medal.
– Nathan Adrian, who also will swim the 100 free, swam a strong opening leg on the 4×100 free relay that took home a silver medal, finishing behind France.
– Cal grad Lauren Boyle of New Zealand placed eighth in the final of the 400 free (4:06.25).
– Dominik Meichtry, representing Switzerland, finished eighth in the semifinals of the 200 free (1:48.25) and did not qualify for the final.
– Freshman-to-be Rachel Bootsma finished sixth in the semifinals of the 100 back (1:00.04) and did not advance to the final.
– Cal product Erin Cafaro helped the top-rated women’s eight boat win its first-round race in the Olympic regatta. The Americans crossed the finish line in 6:14.98 — nearly six seconds ahead of runnerup Australia. Cafaro and her teammates will have to beat a strong Canada team in Thursday final to repeat as gold medalists.
– Cal grad Julie Nichols and rowing teammate Kristi Hedstrom finished third in their opening race of the women’s lightweight double sculls and will race again Tuesday for a bid in the Thursday semifinals.
– Finally, former Cal basketball player Max Zhang scored two points in six minutes off the bench in China’s loss to Spain.