Cal football alums everywhere in Sunday’s NFL playoff games:
– Running back Shane Vereen, 23, who had five career touchdowns in two pro seasons, scored three times in the Patriots’ 41-28 win over the Texans. He rushed seven times for 41 yards, including a 1-yard TD, and caught five passes for 83 yards, with TD receptions of 8 and 33 yards.
– Tight end Tony Gonzalez, 36, caught six passes for 51 yards and a touchdown in the Atlanta Falcons’ 30-28 win over the Seattle Seahawks. His 19-yard reception set up the winning field goal. The NFL’s No. 2 all-time receiver, in what may be his final season, Gonzalez won a playoff game for the first time in his career.
– Safety Thomas DeCoud, 27, had three tackles and one pass defended as the Falcons won a playoff game after losing in the first round the past three seasons.
– Running back Marshawn Lynch, 26, scored what appeared to be the winning touchdown for the Seahawks with 31 seconds left, only to watch the Falcons come back to win. The All-Pro from Oakland had a mixed day: 16 carries for 47 yards and a TD, plus three receptions for 37 yards. He also lost a fumble.
– Defensive tackle Brandon Mebane, 27, had five tackles, four of them unassisted, for the Seahawks.
– Kicker Ryan Longwell, 38, just signed by Seattle on Wednesday because of an injury to their starter, made all four of his PATs but did not attempt a field goal.