A sunny day at Memorial Stadium and Cal’s players are on the field, stretching and warming up as the first fall camp practice gets under way.
Notes and observations . . .
– OT Freddie Tagaloa not practicing. He’s on the field, but not wearing a helmet. Not sure why. Update: Now Tagaloa is going through drills — just sans a helmet. Post-practice: Sonny Dykes said Tagaloa is recovering from an ear infection, so they didn’t want to put him in a helmet Monday. Should go full on Tuesday.
– Freshman QB Jared Goff, who wore No. 9 in the spring, is in uniform No. 16.
– We’re 40 minutes into first open practice and there can’t be more than 75 fans in the stands. A bit of a surprise on such a nice day.
– Lined up as apparent first O-line, from l-r, Freddie Tagaloa, Jordan Rigsbee, Chris Adcock, Alejandro Crosthwaite and Brian Farley.
– On the sidelines: Adarius Pickett, 4-star cornerback prospect from El Cerrito HS. Pickett is rated as the No. 24 CB recruit in the nation, according to Scout.com.
PRE-PRACTICE: Coach Sonny Dykes’ first fall training camp will open at 5 p.m. Monday and I will on hand to provide updates here on BearTalk and on Twitter at CalBearsBang.
Remember, practices are open to all.
Dykes met with his team Sunday evening and showed players film of The Play, one of the most famous moments in Cal — and college football — history.
“I thought that was a great way to start off camp,” Dykes said on CalBears.com. “I want to make sure our players are aware of it, certainly most of them are. We wanted our young guys to understand part of our history and appreciate and understand the traditions that Cal has.
“The two points of emphasis of showing that were how important it was for our players to never give up and to do a good job of executing. I want them to develop that attitude where they’re never going to give up, and develop the mental toughness that goes along with that. The second [point of emphasis] was the execution on that play, how well it was executed and practiced. They were able to pull it off because guys did their job even in the direst of circumstances.”
For more on Sunday’s final preparations for the start of camp, click here.