Coming off a 77-69 loss at USC on Wednesday night, Cal (14-5, 5-1) tries to hold onto sole possesssion of second place in the Pac-12 standings in a Sunday game at UCLA (15-4, 4-2).
It’s a big game for the Golden Bears, but not the first big one they’ve played at Pauley Pavilion over the years. Here are six memorable Cal victories in Westwood:
* FEB. 15, 1990: CAL 79, UCLA 71. The Bears got their first road victory over the Bruins in 30 seasons and their first-ever at Pauley Pavilion. Point guard Keith Smith scored 22 points and forward Roy Fisher had 21 points and 12 rebounds. Cal held the 23rd-rated Bruins to 29-percent shooting, including 5 for 14 by future conference scoring king Don MacLean. Season wrap: Lou Campanelli’s squad ended a 30-year NCAA tournament drought, then beat Indiana in the opening round.
* JAN. 24, 1993: CAL 104, UCLA 82. The morning after a 67-65 loss at USC, Cal freshman guard Jared Haase was awakened to the news that his father had died the night before. Three days later, Haase opted to play against the 23rd-ranked Bruins and scored 16 points to help the Bears hand UCLA its most lopsided loss to date at Pauley. Al Grigsby and Brian Hendrick each scored 23 points and freshman Jason Kidd contributed 11 points, eight rebounds, six assists and six steals. Season wrap: The Bears stunned two-time defending national champ Duke to reach the Sweet 16 round of the NCAAs.
* FEB. 24, 1994: CAL 92, UCLA 88. Lamond Murray scored 36 points and Kidd had 23 points and 11 assists as the No. 17 Bears topped the No. 15 Bruins. In four career games vs. UCLA, Kidd averaged 14.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 8.8 assists, 3.3 steals and posted a 3-1 record. Season wrap: The Kidd-Murray era ended with a disappointing 61-57 loss to Wisconsin-Green Bay in a first-round NCAA game at Ogden, Utah.
* JAN. 28, 1995: CAL 100, UCLA 93. Freshmen Tremaine Fowlkes and Jelani Gardner scored 24 and 18 points, respectively, against the fourth-ranked Bruins in perhaps the best games of their ill-fated Cal careers. Fowlkes later transferred to Fresno State and Gardner was at the center of a scandal that led to coach Todd Bozeman’s firing. Season wrap: The Bears lost six of their final seven games, finished 13-14 and stayed home in the postseason.
* FEB. 6, 1997: CAL 71, UCLA 68. Ed Gray scored 29 points and Randy Duck had 17 as the Bears won at Pauley in coach Ben Braun’s debut campaign. Season wrap: The Bears lost Gray to a broken foot late in a school-record 48-point performance at Washington State, but the team regrouped and stormed into the Sweet 16 round of the NCAAs before losing to a North Carolina team featuring Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter.
* FEB. 6, 2010: CAL 72, UCLA 58. On the heels of road losses to Arizona and USC, Theo Robertson and Patrick Christopher each scored 20 points and the Bears snapped a six-game losing streak to the Bruins. The victory sparked a run of nine wins in 10 games by the Bears. Season wrap: In his second season in Berkeley, Mike Montgomery guided Cal to its first conference title in 50 years. The Bears beat Louisville in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.