Four-star Texas wideout Carlos Strickland’s commitment to Cal on Tuesday made it nine prospects from the South headed to Berkeley next fall. That’s almost as many commits as the Bears have from all of California in the 2015 class.
Presuming Cal gets signatures from each of them next Wednesday, here’s the rundown on prospects from SEC territory that will become Golden Bears:
Alabama (2): Keith Washington, DB; DePriest Turner, Saf
Georgia (2): Russell Ude, DE; Nick Buchanan, OT
Texas (2): Billy McCrary III, Ath; Carlos Strickland, WR
Arkansas (1): Luc Bequette. DT
Louisiana (1): Brandon Singleton, WR
Mississippi (1): Ryan Gibson, C
Those nine players got 10 offers from eight different SEC schools.
Of course, coach Sonny Dykes and most of his assistants hail from that part of the country and have strong recruiting ties there. Dykes has said he wants to establish better relationships in the Bay Area, but that hasn’t happened yet.
The Bears’ current list of 23 commitments includes six from Southern California area, just two from the greater Bay Area and a total of 13 from out of state.
Consider that Jeff Tedford’s final two recruiting classes averaged 6.5 Southern California players, 5 out-of-state prospects and 4 from the South. Among that latter group, running back Daniel Lasco (Texas), receiver Maurice Harris (North Carolina) and punter Cole Leininger (Florida) remain.
The reality is only USC and UCLA have traditionally recruited as heavily in-state as Cal. And the Trojans and Bruins focus largely on Southern California, their talent-rich backyard.
Everyone else in the Pac-12, mostly out of necessity, looks beyond its own area, even its own state borders. You will note below that Arizona, Oregon and WSU have recruited no in-state players so far this season, and Oregon State has just one.
Here’s how the current 2015 classes stack up, geographically:
* ARIZONA (26 current commits). Southern California: 5; Out of state: 21; South: 6.
* ARIZONA STATE (19). SoCal: 7; Out of state: 14; South: 4.
* CAL (23). SoCal: 6; Out of state: 13; South: 9.
* COLORADO (18). SoCal: 4; Out of state: 14; South: 3.
* OREGON (21). SoCal: 7; Out of state: 21; South: 4.
* OREGON STATE (15). SoCal: 3; Out of state: 14; South: 7.
* STANFORD (18): SoCal: 5; Out of state: 12; South: 6.
* UCLA (17). SoCal: 8; Out of state: 6; South: 3.
* USC (20). SoCal: 12; Out of state: 5; South: 3.
* UTAH (22). SoCal: 6; Out of state: 16; South: 4.
* WASHINGTON (24). SoCal: 8; Out of state: 16; South: 1.
* WASHINGTON STATE (24). SoCal: 16. Out of state: 24; South: 0.